GSM / data signal loss

16th June 2014, 06:41 PM   |  #11  
Flag Johnstown
Thanks Meter: 306

1,075 posts
More
Same problem here with the new 4.4.3 radio. Incredibly weak LTE signal (fine if I select 3G in Mobile Networks) and sometimes no signal at all. I may try flashing the older radio this evening.
16th June 2014, 07:14 PM   |  #12  
Flag Bangalore / Singapore
Thanks Meter: 155

528 posts
More
I realised it was happening more often when my gps was locked.. As soon as i switched off gps my signal restored..

Running rooted 4.4.3 stock rom

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to vbz89 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th June 2014, 02:08 AM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 286

585 posts
I'm still having some issues with the older radio, not as many as with the new, so there may be something inherent in the 4.4.3 update as well, this is annoying as my phone was running perfect on 4.4.2, may have to restore my backup
17th June 2014, 06:22 AM   |  #14  
OP Senior Member
Flag İstanbul
Thanks Meter: 15

140 posts
More
Really nice phone and cool design.
But weird problems without solution
17th June 2014, 07:46 AM   |  #15  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 22

116 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsahin4

Hello everyone,

I would like to share big problem what I have and killing me.

Sometimes (1 time in a day or 1 time in 2 days), GSM signal is lost and I have to restart my nexus. What I have done so far,

* I checked my IMEI number and that's OK
* I checked my sim card againts to damages and scratches and that's OK. But these is gap between sim tray and card by ~1mm. The gap is only on long side of tray, short side is fully matched.
* I checked signal power and asked to carrier (TR AVEA) and that's OK.
* I installed hidden menus from Google Play then go to setting -> testing menu -> Phone Info
- preferred mode : GSM auto (PRL)
- If I select "select radia band" from pull-down menu, only one possibilities "USA Band". Even If select this, GSM and data signal loss.
- I tried another carrier sim card (Vodafone TR) and applied same settings above (USA Band), and failed again.
- I understand that "USA Band" is not suitable for us

My device is D821(E) and use 4.4.3 full stock firmware. No root, locked.

Can anyone help me? Thank.

Guessing from the last line, you had updated to 4.4.3 through OTA? You could try to reflash the radio img but that would require you to has custom recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee66

I had same problem. Devs seem to think radios are the same for both phones. If they are why are there different models for usa and Europe? If you put a usa radio in uk phone it will work poorly as it has SOME bands and vice versa i found one marked d21 radio and back to normal. You are treated as a moron for thinking that the radios differ. Look at Wikipedia

# 47386

That's because flashing different modem images (D280/D281) does not change your available phone bands. It is a hardware limitation, nothing to do with with firmware.
17th June 2014, 09:33 AM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 0

33 posts
That was not on my phone. I put it on. As you can see in the pic above there is a world of difference between the two models. Depending on where you are if you get a d20 radio in a d21 your going to get no data like i did

# 47386
17th June 2014, 09:56 AM   |  #17  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 22

116 posts
More
As far as I know, it depends on your network capabilities. I have a D281 running the latest D280 radio, everything works as fine. Faster LTE even.
17th June 2014, 08:55 PM   |  #18  
Thanks Meter: 4

7 posts
am not sure what is wrong too but am facing this issue quite a lot as well. But it is not restricted to Nexus 5 only. I have another phone Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 and face the same issue.

Am not sure what to do on this, however, after some search I found a site where the author claims it gets fixed after uninstalling updates of the following apps:
Google Launcher
Google Search
Google Maps
Google Hangouts
Google Newstand

One or more amongst the apps might be causing some issues. See if it fixes your problems. I will be trying it too but will uninstall all updates from one of the above applications at a time to see which app is the real culprit. Please share with all of us in case you get to know before me or have another solution for us to try.

PS: Hit 'Thank You;' if this helps.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread