XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Guide] Enabling Google Now Cards manually/force-fully

Tip us?

iFeelYouJohanna
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirh View Post
Yes, I did disable Google Play services. I got the network error message, so I deleted the Google Search app data and cache too.

What happens is that no matter how many times I try to log-out and log-in with my account (in the Google Search settings) afterwards, I am not asked to enable Google Now, so it's not available for me. The switch to enable Google Now in the Search settings does not exist.

I assume at least part of my problem is due to the Location services, they cannot be enabled where I live... Is there any workaround for this? Or if the problem is somewhere else, could someone point out - where exactly?

Thanks!
Yeah this is the only work around for the play services location not available. When play services is disabled Google search can't check your location so that's why this works.

However there was an update to Google search 2 says ago so I haven't tested this after that.

eirh
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFeelYouJohanna View Post
Yeah this is the only work around for the play services location not available. When play services is disabled Google search can't check your location so that's why this works.

However there was an update to Google search 2 says ago so I haven't tested this after that.
Thanks for your help anyway. I also uninstalled all updates to Google Search, but without success...
Check out the Corporate Contacts Android app and the Fast Dialer!

eirh
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Hey, you know how I got it working? I went abroad, to a country that obviously supports the location logging, and the option to activate Google Now, appeared Luckily it didn't disappear when I returned home. I hope that Google don't "fix" this bug.
Check out the Corporate Contacts Android app and the Fast Dialer!

screwhead89
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Thanks... managed to get the cards enabled following this..

The only difference is that I had to enable the cards prior to updating back to Search 3.x... otherwise it did not give me the option to enable Google Now after!

drsandeshdahal
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up thanks buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nar7esh View Post
Dear Nexus 5 Users,

I was trying to use Google Now Cards here in Sri Lanka, but I could not enable or even the option did not showed up.

Then, I tried to push an old update of Google Search and then updated via the Play Store, IT WORKED.

Please do the following if you have problems with Google Now Cards.

Disclaimer - I am not responsible for lags, bricks or any sort of bad happened to your device.

1. Unlock Bootloader and Root your device. Follow THIS link.

2. Install Titanium Backup. Here is the Playstore Link -> Titanium Backup

3. Download an older version of Google Search app. I prefer downloading 2.6.7 update. Here is the Link -> Google Search 2.6.7, store it into phone sdcard, later we will be using it.

Now do this patiently.

4. Install a 3rd party launcher and make as the default one. I prefer the Epic Launcher which goes close to the stock. Playstore Link -> Epic Launcher

5. Go to Titanium Backup App and search for Google Search app. The update should be 3.1.xx.. Take a Titanium backup of that app and Un-install it.

6. After uninstalling, install the Google Search 2.6.7 update which is on your sdcard. [Step 3]

7. Now go to Playstore and Search for Google Search and update it.

That's it. After updating your left swipe Google Now will be enabled.

Check the screenshot Ive attached which has the Google Now On/Off toggle, with default I did not have that option, after doing this process it appeared.

Cheers

thanks very much buddy..........thanks a ton, worked perfect.

bluppfisk
Old
Thanks Meter 10
It says I cannot install the apk of Google search. "App isn't installed". Well bah.

SokRatha
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Anyway have idea if my Google Play Service is not able to disable?

I go to Setting -> App -> Google Play Service, both the "Uninstall Update" and "Disable" button is disable.

I dont want to root my device.

Regards,

Quote:
You don't need root/ or to spoof GPS for this. (GPS spoofing doesn't affect location information anyway)

You need an internet connection for this Wifi/ or mobile internet.

Step 1: Disable Google Play Services (you'll have to uninstall updates first to see the disable button on some devices)
Step 2: goto Settings > Account > Google > Search and Logout and then Log back in. (It will ask you to turn on now cards here > select Yes)
Google now should be enabled now.

Step 3: enable Google Play Services

Tested on Nexus 5, Moto G, Galaxy S4

NOTE: If you have a message saying "there was a problem communicating with google servers" you'll have to clear app data and cache of your google search. THIS WILL CAUSE YOUR HOME SCREEN TO GO BACK TO DEFAULT if you're using GEL (i.e. NEXUS5)

This has been now checked by multiple people and is 100% working

iFeelYouJohanna
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SokRatha View Post
Anyway have idea if my Google Play Service is not able to disable?

I go to Setting -> App -> Google Play Service, both the "Uninstall Update" and "Disable" button is disable.

I dont want to root my device.

Regards,

This method doesn't need root. Just check how to disable that for your phone model.

SokRatha
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Yes, this method don't need root, I mean I don't want to try other method that need root.

And what you have mentioned is my question, it's about ways to disable "Google Play Service".

I can't do it because the option to disable it is not enable.

Quote:
This method doesn't need root. Just check how to disable that for your phone model.

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by SokRatha View Post
Yes, this method don't need root, I mean I don't want to try other method that need root.

And what you have mentioned is my question, it's about ways to disable "Google Play Service".

I can't do it because the option to disable it is not enable.
Google Play Services is many different things. It's location services, auto syncs etc.

I don't think you would want to completely disable it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
W32