HD Voice on the Nexus 5 (AMR-WB)

OP montrealguy

2nd February 2014, 03:54 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 18

480 posts
More
Is there a way to enable HD Voice (WB-AMR) on the Nexus 5? For some weird reason, the Galaxy Nexus is supported by Rogers for HD Voice but not the Nexus 5.

Some people here have figured out how to enable it on the Galaxy S4: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2287992

But I can't figure out how to access the service menu on the Nexus 5 on 4.4.2... Or maybe it is already enabled but I can't check it?

Anyone who can figure this out will be the star of XDA's Nexus 5 forum!
2nd February 2014, 04:02 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 21,842

26,233 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealguy

Is there a way to enable HD Voice (WB-AMR) on the Nexus 5? For some weird reason, the Galaxy Nexus is supported by Rogers for HD Voice but not the Nexus 5.

Some people here have figured out how to enable it on the Galaxy S4: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2287992

But I can't figure out how to access the service menu on the Nexus 5 on 4.4.2... Or maybe it is already enabled but I can't check it?

Anyone who can figure this out will be the star of XDA's Nexus 5 forum!

it works fine on tmobile. its obvious when its connected, and sounds wonderful. theres no service menu, its just enabled.
2nd February 2014, 04:03 AM   |  #3  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 912

3,121 posts
More
It works out of the box on Tmobile. As the previous guy said, it's really obvious if it works.
2nd February 2014, 04:54 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 324

1,283 posts
More
I'm surprised on T-Mobile's End I had a full size sim from my Nexus s cut it into a micro sim and i was surprised to see LTE on an OLD sim card also HD voice does sound amazing its like landline quality but sounds better! but when it drops to EDGE or GPRS it sounds like cr@p but oh well i got HSPA everywhere.
2nd February 2014, 04:56 AM   |  #5  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 104

376 posts
More
HD-Voice is bounds better than landline...i've only had it work between my mom's windows phone and my N5 on tmobile...at&t sounds like crap, all the other phones sound like crap too. I hope at&t enables it soon so I can actually understand my girlfriend better.
2nd February 2014, 05:08 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 368

1,454 posts
Works out of box here on Bell. You have to be talking to other people with HD voice enabled phones. Whenever I phone my brother on his HTC One it sounds amazing..it puts land lines to shame.
2nd February 2014, 06:04 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 132

1,062 posts
I think it needs to be support also via your carrier... but I think most of the carriers have them enabled...
3rd February 2014, 06:30 AM   |  #8  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 912

3,121 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd6noob

I think it needs to be support also via your carrier... but I think most of the carriers have them enabled...

Not in the US. Tmobile is the only one that has it. ATT is coming this year or sometime soon.
3rd February 2014, 08:44 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 18

480 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22

it works fine on tmobile. its obvious when its connected, and sounds wonderful. theres no service menu, its just enabled.

But there must be a service menu to figure out if AMR-WB is activated or not? For example, the S4 has HD Voice capability but people have figured out how to activate it in the service menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdapimp

I'm surprised on T-Mobile's End I had a full size sim from my Nexus s cut it into a micro sim and i was surprised to see LTE on an OLD sim card also HD voice does sound amazing its like landline quality but sounds better! but when it drops to EDGE or GPRS it sounds like cr@p but oh well i got HSPA everywhere.

Does AMR-WB only work when LTE is activated? I get frequent call drops on my Nexus 5 and some people have gotten relief when they disable LTE and switch to 3G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyink

Works out of box here on Bell. You have to be talking to other people with HD voice enabled phones. Whenever I phone my brother on his HTC One it sounds amazing..it puts land lines to shame.

It is quite bizarre that on Rogers/Fido, Canada's largest network, they say that only certain phones support HD Voice. The Galaxy Nexus is supported but the Nexus 4 and 5 or not supported! I even called and asked!

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/10/11/ro...liant-devices/

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd6noob

Rogers/Fido offers HD Voice but I think that they have to add support on a individual device basis. It supports the Galaxy Nexus, but not the Nexus 4 or 5!

This is why I believe that there has got to be a way to access the Service menu on the Nexus 5 and activate AMR-WB support. People can do it on the S4!
3rd February 2014, 10:15 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 368

1,454 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealguy

It is quite bizarre that on Rogers/Fido, Canada's largest network, they say that only certain phones support HD Voice. The Galaxy Nexus is supported but the Nexus 4 and 5 or not supported! I even called and asked!

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/10/11/ro...liant-devices/

That's weird. Clearly it does work on this phone on other carriers. Then again it is Rogers we're talking about, so I'm not surprised.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread