Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,758 Members 38,026 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HD Voice on the Nexus 5 (AMR-WB)

Tip us?

montrealguy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Default HD Voice on the Nexus 5 (AMR-WB)

Is there a way to enable HD Voice (WB-AMR) on the Nexus 5? For some weird reason, the Galaxy Nexus is supported by Rogers for HD Voice but not the Nexus 5.

Some people here have figured out how to enable it on the Galaxy S4: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2287992

But I can't figure out how to access the service menu on the Nexus 5 on 4.4.2... Or maybe it is already enabled but I can't check it?

Anyone who can figure this out will be the star of XDA's Nexus 5 forum!

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21138
Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealguy View Post
Is there a way to enable HD Voice (WB-AMR) on the Nexus 5? For some weird reason, the Galaxy Nexus is supported by Rogers for HD Voice but not the Nexus 5.

Some people here have figured out how to enable it on the Galaxy S4: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2287992

But I can't figure out how to access the service menu on the Nexus 5 on 4.4.2... Or maybe it is already enabled but I can't check it?

Anyone who can figure this out will be the star of XDA's Nexus 5 forum!
it works fine on tmobile. its obvious when its connected, and sounds wonderful. theres no service menu, its just enabled.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!

aooga
Old
Thanks Meter 855
It works out of the box on Tmobile. As the previous guy said, it's really obvious if it works.

markdapimp
Old
Thanks Meter 323
I'm surprised on T-Mobile's End I had a full size sim from my Nexus s cut it into a micro sim and i was surprised to see LTE on an OLD sim card also HD voice does sound amazing its like landline quality but sounds better! but when it drops to EDGE or GPRS it sounds like cr@p but oh well i got HSPA everywhere.
Devices: Nexus 5 (Sold) 1X
Nexus 5
HTC One

zander21510
Old
Thanks Meter 104
HD-Voice is bounds better than landline...i've only had it work between my mom's windows phone and my N5 on tmobile...at&t sounds like crap, all the other phones sound like crap too. I hope at&t enables it soon so I can actually understand my girlfriend better.
Google Nexus 5 w/CM11 Official Nightly
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 w/CM11 Unofficial Nightly

speedyink
Old
Thanks Meter 363
Works out of box here on Bell. You have to be talking to other people with HD voice enabled phones. Whenever I phone my brother on his HTC One it sounds amazing..it puts land lines to shame.

gd6noob
Old
Thanks Meter 130
I think it needs to be support also via your carrier... but I think most of the carriers have them enabled...
64GB Sandstone Black OnePlus One - Rooted

aooga
Old
Thanks Meter 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd6noob View Post
I think it needs to be support also via your carrier... but I think most of the carriers have them enabled...
Not in the US. Tmobile is the only one that has it. ATT is coming this year or sometime soon.

montrealguy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22 View Post
it works fine on tmobile. its obvious when its connected, and sounds wonderful. theres no service menu, its just enabled.
But there must be a service menu to figure out if AMR-WB is activated or not? For example, the S4 has HD Voice capability but people have figured out how to activate it in the service menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdapimp View Post
I'm surprised on T-Mobile's End I had a full size sim from my Nexus s cut it into a micro sim and i was surprised to see LTE on an OLD sim card also HD voice does sound amazing its like landline quality but sounds better! but when it drops to EDGE or GPRS it sounds like cr@p but oh well i got HSPA everywhere.
Does AMR-WB only work when LTE is activated? I get frequent call drops on my Nexus 5 and some people have gotten relief when they disable LTE and switch to 3G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyink View Post
Works out of box here on Bell. You have to be talking to other people with HD voice enabled phones. Whenever I phone my brother on his HTC One it sounds amazing..it puts land lines to shame.
It is quite bizarre that on Rogers/Fido, Canada's largest network, they say that only certain phones support HD Voice. The Galaxy Nexus is supported but the Nexus 4 and 5 or not supported! I even called and asked!

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/10/11/ro...liant-devices/

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd6noob View Post
Rogers/Fido offers HD Voice but I think that they have to add support on a individual device basis. It supports the Galaxy Nexus, but not the Nexus 4 or 5!

This is why I believe that there has got to be a way to access the Service menu on the Nexus 5 and activate AMR-WB support. People can do it on the S4!

speedyink
Old
Thanks Meter 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealguy View Post
It is quite bizarre that on Rogers/Fido, Canada's largest network, they say that only certain phones support HD Voice. The Galaxy Nexus is supported but the Nexus 4 and 5 or not supported! I even called and asked!

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/10/11/ro...liant-devices/
That's weird. Clearly it does work on this phone on other carriers. Then again it is Rogers we're talking about, so I'm not surprised.