Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,486 Members 42,275 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HD Voice on the Nexus 5 (AMR-WB)

Tip us?

Saltank
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealguy View Post
But there must be a service menu to figure out if AMR-WB is activated or not? For example, the S4 has HD Voice capability but people have figured out how to activate it in the service menu.

Does AMR-WB only work when LTE is activated? I get frequent call drops on my Nexus 5 and some people have gotten relief when they disable LTE and switch to 3G.

It is quite bizarre that on Rogers/Fido, Canada's largest network, they say that only certain phones support HD Voice. The Galaxy Nexus is supported but the Nexus 4 and 5 or not supported! I even called and asked!

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/10/11/ro...liant-devices/

Rogers/Fido offers HD Voice but I think that they have to add support on a individual device basis. It supports the Galaxy Nexus, but not the Nexus 4 or 5!

This is why I believe that there has got to be a way to access the Service menu on the Nexus 5 and activate AMR-WB support. People can do it on the S4!
I want to know how to access the service menu to check if AMR-WB is on or not. Some test calls I've made (EE - UK) don't sound like it's working properly.

montrealguy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltank View Post
I want to know how to access the service menu to check if AMR-WB is on or not. Some test calls I've made (EE - UK) don't sound like it's working properly.
+1 !!!

Saltank
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealguy View Post
+1 !!!
All solutions involving *#0011# and *#197328640# don't work. No idea what to do now :/

Saltank
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I was making some calls today, where I had LTE. The expected behaviour would be that the device switches to 3G for voice calls, but it seems to me like my N5 is using 2G. So it seems that despite being on a network which i know has working HD Voice, the Nexus 5 doesn't work. Bummer.