Need help adjusting as iPhone 5S user with a Nexus 5

Tip us?

barkmarkin
Old
(Last edited by wedgess; 17th April 2014 at 09:13 AM.) Reason: No best ROM
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Angry Need help adjusting as iPhone 5S user with a Nexus 5

Hi guys, I just layed my 5S to the side for a Nexus 5, I use a Retina Macbook Pro with 10.9.2, I used an HTC One before the 5S, Its good to be back!, Well sound quality leaves alot to be desired but besides that, my BIGGEST PROBLEM, is that I cannot have screen wake up with notifications on the Nexus 5,

Also i would like to root my Nexus 5, and install a custom ROM

Since I don't know how on my Mac, can you guys help me out? Thanks in advance!

Also WHAT IS THE BEST ROM, Performance wise, Battery and quickness etc radio, I Want to get the most out of my Nexus 5... but also get the features I want

I can't live without screen waking up and showing notifications on lock screen like it does in iOS

also I wish this were louder!!

Lethargy
Old
(Last edited by wedgess; 17th April 2014 at 09:12 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkmarkin View Post
Hi guys, I just layed my 5S to the side for a Nexus 5, I use a Retina Macbook Pro with 10.9.2, I used an HTC One before the 5S, Its good to be back!, Well sound quality leaves alot to be desired but besides that, my BIGGEST PROBLEM, is that I cannot have screen wake up with notifications on the Nexus 5,

Also WHAT IS THE BEST ROM, Performance wise, Battery and quickness etc radio, I Want to get the most out of my Nexus 5... but also get the features I want

I can't live without screen waking up and showing notifications on lock screen like it does in iOS

To unlock the bootloader and root, see here and here.

There is NO "best" ROM nor kernel. Which is best for you is your own personal opinion. There are a large variety to choose from, and the Nexus 5 is a developer device so you'll have to problem flashing to your heart's content.

As for lockscreen notifications, enable lockscreen widgets and try out Dashclock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphur
You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.
I actively add ignorant people to my ignore list.

dannyglad17
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkmarkin View Post

I'd suggest carbon ROM and the elementalx kernel. Carbon ROM is one of the most feature filled ROMs out there and includes lockscreen notifications. Although I'm sure other ROM's include it. Nimrodity's ROM comparison spreadsheet (Original thread) is a great resource to compare Roms with. I also suggest elementalx because of its massively improved battery life while sleeping or idling all the while not degrading performance (at least not to the degree to which I can detect).

Hope I was helpful!
The Following User Says Thank You to dannyglad17 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

barkmarkin
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Thanks! all i want is a good stable stock rom with ability to delete **** i dont need

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ryanwalexander
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Xposed framework allows for most custom ROM features without actually flashing a custom ROM. Check it out. +1 on elementalx, it's great though I haven't had as much success with the newer versions as the older ones.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

EnIXmA
Old
(Last edited by EnIXmA; 17th April 2014 at 04:57 AM.)
Thanks Meter 161
I use notify me app from the play store, which does essentially the exact same thing that you are looking for to wake up the screen on notifications.
I love Xjparadroid ROM as it has halo, is really smooth and also got pie... Franco and Elemental x are my two favorite kernels.

After rooting, just flash the mod to increase the volume levels in the themes section. It does increase the volume by approx. 50%

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium HD app

Lethargy
Old
Thanks Meter 1,655
I find Trinity much better than Elemental but that's just my opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphur
You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.
I actively add ignorant people to my ignore list.

shadowdevil
Old
Thanks Meter 90
First of all welcome to the world of Open Source..!

wedgess
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 13,457

DONATE TO ME
We do not allow best ROM/Kernel threads on XDA. Developers do not like seeing their work compared to others along with the fact that everyone has their own opinions. What's best for you may not be what is best for someone else. Best advice is to head over to the development section try some out and see which best suits your needs.

Thread closed
-wedgess
Forum Moderator

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe