XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Help Flashing/Rooting Before I Brick Phone

Tip us?

D7Knight
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Help Flashing/Rooting Before I Brick Phone

So I'm switching from Galaxy S3 to Nexus 5 and was wondering a couple of things.

1: For most phones, there are carrier version and each version had it's own rom/flashes, so for Nexus 5 I noticed that there is no separate forum for Sprint, ATT, etc. Does that mean all flashes/rooting methods work on the Nexus 5?

2: Is there something like Odin for Nexus 5?

D7Knight
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Bump, really do need help. Don't want to brick phone.

bitdomo
Old
Thanks Meter 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by D7Knight View Post
So I'm switching from Galaxy S3 to Nexus 5 and was wondering a couple of things.

1: For most phones, there are carrier version and each version had it's own rom/flashes, so for Nexus 5 I noticed that there is no separate forum for Sprint, ATT, etc. Does that mean all flashes/rooting methods work on the Nexus 5?

There so no carrier version nexus 5, there are two variant, LGD820 for north america and LG821 for the rest of the world. LG820 and LGD821 are 100% the same. The only difference is a programmed chip. This chip in LGD820 programmed to work with north amrrican lte network, in LG821 this is programmed to work with not north american lte networks. This two variant is needed, because this chip only capable to handle 7 lte networks, and there are more then 7 lte network on the whole world.

Yes there are an app like odin. It is called lg flash tool, but only works with LGD820 because the dll refuse to work with LGD821, someone have to hack it to make it work for LGD821 too, and we dont have factory images, just user images so you will get the same result if just flashed a rom with fastboot.

Oh yes and nexus 5 has a mode called fastboot. You can flash system, boot, recovery images with fastboot to nexus 5, you can boot your phone with a kernel without flashing it to your phone and etc...
The Following User Says Thank You to bitdomo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

El Daddy
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2653
This would be a good thread to read through before you do anything: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2508292

Also, please stay away from Toolkits. Learn how to do things the right and safe way. It will help you out in the long run and you'll know how to fix common problems.

bitdomo
Old
Thanks Meter 218
As @El Daddy said stay away from toolkits, those cause more troubles in those hands who dont know what are they doing than they should.
The Following User Says Thank You to bitdomo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7424
+1 for ditching toolkits

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

PhilipTD
Old
Thanks Meter 348
Toolkits?!! What about the kittens?! The horror. The horror.

NEXUS 5 D820 STOCK KK442 FK46 DALVIK XPOSED TWRP2734

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by D7Knight View Post

Look here for how to setup adb http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-set...dows-tutorial/.
Here`s one with a YouTube tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XslKnEE4Qo8.
USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue