Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Help locked out of recovery

OP anthonyly

5th March 2014, 05:43 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 42

739 posts
More
I was literally flashing something ten minutes before and then I tried going back to recovery and there were no directory so I then rebooted it says I need a password... But I never one made a password, I didn't even know there was passwords for recovery

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
5th March 2014, 06:06 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

739 posts
More
Never mind... Just kept rebooting then eventually the problem was gone... How can I set a password for bootloader and recovery... Just wondering if it's even possible

5th March 2014, 10:32 AM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Liverpool, Merseyside
Thanks Meter: 3,234

13,606 posts
More
You can't set a password for either (well, not to my knowledge!)
5th March 2014, 10:52 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,806

4,968 posts
Donate to Me
More
Even with a password we can fastboot flash new images.
Team Win explains this on their website.
5th March 2014, 11:40 AM   |  #5  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,848

25,053 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primokorn

Even with a password we can fastboot flash new images.
Team Win explains this on their website.

Yes and no.. Actually we can lock the bootloader so fastboot flash wont work.... All we need is for the recovery password to block the following to secure your data (on the nexus 5):
  • Mount of external (OTG) media
  • adb access
  • file manager capabilities

This would mean you can still boot into recovery and flash / backup (although not to removable media) until you went into a security menu to "unlock recovery". This would even mean that your automated jobs can still occur without having to face a "boot password". The password could be stored on /sdcard in clear test and there could be an option to delete the password incase you forgot it in this same recovery menu, which also wipes the device.

recovery is the only weak point of my device.

Sure, Samsung's Odin will get round this password on their devices as the BL is not locked but any device with a locked bootloader (locakbale bootloader) will benefit.

Another caveat is that this is not to prevent the device being wiped.... unlocking the bootloader will wipe the device, and this is what I want. I don't care about getting the phone back as much as I would care about securing my data. Its all backed up. Nothing is lost. I just might not want someone else getting access to it.

Although this is beyond the extent of my knowledge to achieve, I don't think it would be hard for anyone who knows what they're doing with code.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th March 2014, 02:02 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,806

4,968 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

Yes and no.. Actually we can lock the bootloader so fastboot flash wont work.... All we need is for the recovery password to block the following to secure your data (on the nexus 5):
  • Mount of external (OTG) media
  • adb access
  • file manager capabilities

This would mean you can still boot into recovery and flash / backup (although not to removable media) until you went into a security menu to "unlock recovery". This would even mean that your automated jobs can still occur without having to face a "boot password". The password could be stored on /sdcard in clear test and there could be an option to delete the password incase you forgot it in this same recovery menu, which also wipes the device.

recovery is the only weak point of my device.

Sure, Samsung's Odin will get round this password on their devices as the BL is not locked but any device with a locked bootloader (locakbale bootloader) will benefit.

Another caveat is that this is not to prevent the device being wiped.... unlocking the bootloader will wipe the device, and this is what I want. I don't care about getting the phone back as much as I would care about securing my data. Its all backed up. Nothing is lost. I just might not want someone else getting access to it.

Although this is beyond the extent of my knowledge to achieve, I don't think it would be hard for anyone who knows what they're doing with code.

Do u mean that you always have a locked BL?

Thanks for your feedback but one thing remains the same IMHO. Of course we can lock the BL but a thief can unlock it then flash factory images. No more custom recovery, passwords...
I'm not talking about the user data but to be able for a thieft to use a device even with locked stuff.
5th March 2014, 03:45 PM   |  #7  

25,053 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primokorn

Do u mean that you always have a locked BL?

Thanks for your feedback but one thing remains the same IMHO. Of course we can lock the BL but a thief can unlock it then flash factory images. No more custom recovery, passwords...
I'm not talking about the user data but to be able for a thieft to use a device even with locked stuff.

I'm just talking about data security. That is my only concern. Devices are replaceable. Unlock bootloader, data wiped. fine!
5th March 2014, 08:13 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

739 posts
More
Oh thanks everyone, I just wouldn't want a theif to use a phone they don't deserve, pretty much the only security on my phone to not go to bootloader is for no power menu on my lockscreen but you could probably use adb to get through

5th March 2014, 08:59 PM   |  #9  

25,053 posts
More
That's what imei blocking is for

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread