Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,194 Members 52,576 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help locked out of recovery

Tip us?
 
anthonyly
Old
#1  
anthonyly's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
Posts: 739
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default Help locked out of recovery

I was literally flashing something ten minutes before and then I tried going back to recovery and there were no directory so I then rebooted it says I need a password... But I never one made a password, I didn't even know there was passwords for recovery

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
 
anthonyly
Old
#2  
anthonyly's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
Posts: 739
Join Date: Apr 2012
Never mind... Just kept rebooting then eventually the problem was gone... How can I set a password for bootloader and recovery... Just wondering if it's even possible

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
 
EddyOS
Old
#3  
EddyOS's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,048
Posts: 13,307
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Liverpool, Merseyside
You can't set a password for either (well, not to my knowledge!)
OnePlus One A0001 (Sandstone Grey) 64GB
ROM: CyanogenMod 11S (XNPH33R) | Bootloader: Stock | Recovery: TWRP 2.8.0.1 | Radio: Stock | Kernel: Franco Kernel r19

Google Nexus 5 D821 (Black) 32GB
ROM: Android 4.4.4 (KTU84P) | Bootloader: HHZ11K | Recovery: Stock | Radio: 2.0.50.1.16 | Kernel: Stock

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock
 
Primokorn
Old
#4  
Primokorn's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,218
Posts: 4,094
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Annecy

 
DONATE TO ME
Even with a password we can fastboot flash new images.
Team Win explains this on their website.
Nexus 5 | Ask any questionDark XDAGetting started on XDA

LGE Nexus 5 | TWRP Recovery | OptiPurity | Uber!!!


Quote:
Searching can take less time than waiting for an answer
 
rootSU
Old
#5  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 11,413
Posts: 22,448
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primokorn View Post
Even with a password we can fastboot flash new images.
Team Win explains this on their website.
Yes and no.. Actually we can lock the bootloader so fastboot flash wont work.... All we need is for the recovery password to block the following to secure your data (on the nexus 5):
  • Mount of external (OTG) media
  • adb access
  • file manager capabilities

This would mean you can still boot into recovery and flash / backup (although not to removable media) until you went into a security menu to "unlock recovery". This would even mean that your automated jobs can still occur without having to face a "boot password". The password could be stored on /sdcard in clear test and there could be an option to delete the password incase you forgot it in this same recovery menu, which also wipes the device.

recovery is the only weak point of my device.

Sure, Samsung's Odin will get round this password on their devices as the BL is not locked but any device with a locked bootloader (locakbale bootloader) will benefit.

Another caveat is that this is not to prevent the device being wiped.... unlocking the bootloader will wipe the device, and this is what I want. I don't care about getting the phone back as much as I would care about securing my data. Its all backed up. Nothing is lost. I just might not want someone else getting access to it.

Although this is beyond the extent of my knowledge to achieve, I don't think it would be hard for anyone who knows what they're doing with code.
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**



Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Primokorn
Old
#6  
Primokorn's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,218
Posts: 4,094
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Annecy

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
 
Yes and no.. Actually we can lock the bootloader so fastboot flash wont work.... All we need is for the recovery password to block the following to secure your data (on the nexus 5):
  • Mount of external (OTG) media
  • adb access
  • file manager capabilities

This would mean you can still boot into recovery and flash / backup (although not to removable media) until you went into a security menu to "unlock recovery". This would even mean that your automated jobs can still occur without having to face a "boot password". The password could be stored on /sdcard in clear test and there could be an option to delete the password incase you forgot it in this same recovery menu, which also wipes the device.

recovery is the only weak point of my device.

Sure, Samsung's Odin will get round this password on their devices as the BL is not locked but any device with a locked bootloader (locakbale bootloader) will benefit.

Another caveat is that this is not to prevent the device being wiped.... unlocking the bootloader will wipe the device, and this is what I want. I don't care about getting the phone back as much as I would care about securing my data. Its all backed up. Nothing is lost. I just might not want someone else getting access to it.

Although this is beyond the extent of my knowledge to achieve, I don't think it would be hard for anyone who knows what they're doing with code.
Do u mean that you always have a locked BL?

Thanks for your feedback but one thing remains the same IMHO. Of course we can lock the BL but a thief can unlock it then flash factory images. No more custom recovery, passwords...
I'm not talking about the user data but to be able for a thieft to use a device even with locked stuff.
Nexus 5 | Ask any questionDark XDAGetting started on XDA

LGE Nexus 5 | TWRP Recovery | OptiPurity | Uber!!!


Quote:
Searching can take less time than waiting for an answer
 
rootSU
Old
#7  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 11,413
Posts: 22,448
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primokorn View Post
Do u mean that you always have a locked BL?

Thanks for your feedback but one thing remains the same IMHO. Of course we can lock the BL but a thief can unlock it then flash factory images. No more custom recovery, passwords...
I'm not talking about the user data but to be able for a thieft to use a device even with locked stuff.
I'm just talking about data security. That is my only concern. Devices are replaceable. Unlock bootloader, data wiped. fine!
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**



Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
 
anthonyly
Old
#8  
anthonyly's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
Posts: 739
Join Date: Apr 2012
Oh thanks everyone, I just wouldn't want a theif to use a phone they don't deserve, pretty much the only security on my phone to not go to bootloader is for no power menu on my lockscreen but you could probably use adb to get through

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
 
rootSU
Old
#9  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 11,413
Posts: 22,448
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
That's what imei blocking is for

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**



Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

Thread Tools
Display Modes