Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,110 Members 43,032 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Help with mobile connection

Tip us?

ebtek220
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] Help with mobile connection

So earlier today I booted into stock recovery and wiped the cache partition in the hopes that it might get the bugs out and speed my N5 up a bit. Well, while wiping the cache partition the phone frozen. I held the power button to reboot the device. The phone booted up fine, but I've seemed to have lost my carrier settings. I've taken the sim in and out several times and cannot get the device to connect to a mobile network. Carrier settings is not present under settings so I cannot manually update the profile. The phone is stock and running on the Sprint network. Anyone have any ideas how to get this thing working again? Thanks for your help!

zephiK
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4,840

DONATE TO ME
Have you tried resetting your APNs back to default as well as setting preferred network to LTE/CDMA?
Follow me on Twitter! | Scrolling Mods for Various OPO Roms

OnePlus One: Mahdi | Franco Kernel
Older devices: Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus, TF101, Nexus S, Samsung Vibrant, G1

ebtek220
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephiK View Post
Have you tried resetting your APNs back to default as well as setting preferred network to LTE/CDMA?
how do i reset apns?

zephiK
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4,840

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebtek220 View Post
how do i reset apns?
Depending what ROM you use.. Settings -> Mobile Network or
Settings -> More -> Access Point Names -> Menu -> Reset to default

Older devices: Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus, TF101, Nexus S, Samsung Vibrant, G1

ebtek220
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephiK View Post
Depending what ROM you use.. Settings -> Mobile Network or
Settings -> More -> Access Point Names -> Menu -> Reset to default
It's not giving me that option. I'm running stock.

zephiK
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4,840

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
It's not giving me that option. I'm running stock.
The option is there, you just have to find it under Wireless & Networks. I'm on a custom ROM so it appears in a different part of the menu.
Quote:
Select Settings.
Select More Settings.
Select Mobile Networks.
Select Access Point Names.

Andromendous
Old
Thanks Meter 169
I think thats what he means. "Mobile network" is gone.... Maybe?
Nexus 5 Slimkat Code_Blue Kernel
Nexus 7 2013 Slimkat Glitch Kernel

ebtek220
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Yes that's what i mean. Carrier Settings is missing as an option. I tired to do a factory reset under settings but when I click the button nothing happens. This is very odd.

_MetalHead_
Old
Thanks Meter 2,064
Quote:
So earlier today I booted into stock recovery and wiped the cache partition in the hopes that it might get the bugs out and speed my N5 up a bit. Well, while wiping the cache partition the phone frozen. I held the power button to reboot the device. The phone booted up fine, but I've seemed to have lost my carrier settings. I've taken the sim in and out several times and cannot get the device to connect to a mobile network. Carrier settings is not present under settings so I cannot manually update the profile. The phone is stock and running on the Sprint network. Anyone have any ideas how to get this thing working again? Thanks for your help!
This happened to me before. I wiped cache, it seemed like it hung up so I rebooted and lost network connectivity. Lucky for me (and you) it's easily fixable. Go back into recovery and wipe cache again. This time let it finish. It might seem like it's stuck but just let it run its course. When it's done, boot it back up and everything should be fine.
\m/(-_-)\m/

ebtek220
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MetalHead_ View Post
This happened to me before. I wiped cache, it seemed like it hung up so I rebooted and lost network connectivity. Lucky for me (and you) it's easily fixable. Go back into recovery and wipe cache again. This time let it finish. It might seem like it's stuck but just let it run its course. When it's done, boot it back up and everything should be fine.
Thanks for the message; I wish I would have seen it sooner. I did fix the issue, but in a round about way. I tried to do a factory reset in recovery and the same thing happened it just froze up... or maybe was just was taking a long time. Anyway my impatience lead me to reboot, well that put me into a boot loop. Great... So i decide the only way out of this was to flash a factory image. Upon unlocking the bootloader and rebooting from fastboot all is back to normal. I hadn't planned on rooting my N5, but I'm this far now I might as well do it. Thanks everyone for the insight!