Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,899 Members 47,357 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Help setting up CPU tuner/SetCPU

Tip us?

Dmoustakas
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Help setting up CPU tuner/SetCPU

Hello, my main purpose is to save battery. I want let the CPU act normally (stock) while the screen is ON, and i want to undervolt/underclock the CPU, while the screen is OFF and when i am on a phone call. I do not care about overclocking.
Is there any CPU tuner (or even SetCPU app) guide for nexus 5?
I really want to know the correct frequences to setup in order to avoid problems
I use stock ROM and stock kernel.
Thank you in advance.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10679
There are no correct frequencies. Just play and find what's good. Remember though, the more you underclock, the longer it takes to undertake certain tasks so it can be a false economy.

My advice would be undervolt always and under clock never.

You cannot undervolt stock kernel

Read section 4.3 in my signature

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

Dmoustakas
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
There are no correct frequencies. Just play and find what's good. Remember though, the more you underclock, the longer it takes to undertake certain tasks so it can be a false economy.

My advice would be undervolt always and under clock never.

You cannot undervolt stock kernel

Read section 4.3 in my signature

Thank you for answering and thank you for the information! I have 1 question in order to clear some things out. What causes battery economy Underclock or undervolt?

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmoustakas View Post
Thank you for answering and thank you for the information! I have 1 question in order to clear some things out. What causes battery economy Underclock or undervolt?
Both have potential but really the best thing is deep sleep.

Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Dmoustakas
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Both have potential but really the best thing is deep sleep.

I already use greenify so i think it is the same thing with deep sleep. One last question, could underclock be false economy in my situations since i want it to work only when screen is off and only on active phone calls?

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10679
Quote:
I already use greenify so i think it is the same thing with deep sleep. One last question, could underclock be false economy in my situations since i want it to work only when screen is off and only on active phone calls?
Screen off does not = deep sleep. In my opinion, it's best to let it do what it wants, however my kernel sets maxscreen off at 1100 MHz

Its all about clock cycles. The Stock kernel allows the CPU to run at approximately 23,000 MHz. Each MHz is a "Clock cycle" per second. So each second, you have 23,000 clock cycles. Now lets say (this is not a real value, but just humour me) that an e-mail Push takes 23,000 clock cycles. You can receive an email in 1 second. With me so far? So what if you underclock to 12,500MHz? It takes twice as long to push that same email to your phone. So now you have to work out, is 12,500MHz using more or less than half the power that 23,000MHz uses? If it is less than half, you *MAY* save some battery, but if it uses more than half, its a false economy because 2 seconds at 12,500 uses more power than 1 second at 23,000.

Does that make sense?

I've kept this basic for illustration purposes, so anyone reading, please don't make technical corrections, this is not meant to be exact or accurate

Dmoustakas
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Screen off does not = deep sleep. In my opinion, it's best to let it do what it wants, however my kernel sets maxscreen off at 1100 MHz

Its all about clock cycles. The Stock kernel allows the CPU to run at approximately 23,000 MHz. Each MHz is a "Clock cycle" per second. So each second, you have 23,000 clock cycles. Now lets say (this is not a real value, but just humour me) that an e-mail Push takes 23,000 clock cycles. You can receive an email in 1 second. With me so far? So what if you underclock to 12,500MHz? It takes twice as long to push that same email to your phone. So now you have to work out, is 12,500MHz using more or less than half the power that 23,000MHz uses? If it is less than half, you *MAY* save some battery, but if it uses more than half, its a false economy because 2 seconds at 12,500 uses more power than 1 second at 23,000.

Does that make sense?

I've kept this basic for illustration purposes, so anyone reading, please don't make technical corrections, this is not meant to be exact or accurate
Great explanation, clearly logical thoughts. You really covered all my questions. Thank you very much! I think i am going to search for a kernel to tinker with undervolting!
Cheers and thanks again!

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10679
Quote:
Great explanation, clearly logical thoughts. You really covered all my questions. Thank you very much! I think i am going to search for a kernel to tinker with undervolting!
Cheers and thanks again!
No probs. Take a nandroid backup before tinkering

The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]