FORUMS

HTC Delivering Ads Straight to Sense Home

HTC’s 2015 has been a year marked by a desperate search for revenue.The HTC One M9 … more

Galaxy S6 & Edge get €100 Price Cut—New Models Incoming

Samsung has dropped the price of both the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge by … more

How To Port Fully Featured Sony Xperia Z4 Camera

Xperia Z4’s hardware may not impress, but its software is definitely … more

Experimental TWRP Available For Moto G 2015

XDA Senior Member squid2 has posted experimental builds of TWRP for the Moto G … more

[Q] Help setting up CPU tuner/SetCPU

24 posts
Thanks Meter: 1
 
By Dmoustakas, Junior Member on 1st July 2014, 02:45 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hello, my main purpose is to save battery. I want let the CPU act normally (stock) while the screen is ON, and i want to undervolt/underclock the CPU, while the screen is OFF and when i am on a phone call. I do not care about overclocking.
Is there any CPU tuner (or even SetCPU app) guide for nexus 5?
I really want to know the correct frequences to setup in order to avoid problems
I use stock ROM and stock kernel.
Thank you in advance.
 
 
1st July 2014, 03:32 PM |#2  
danarama's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 18,838
 
More
There are no correct frequencies. Just play and find what's good. Remember though, the more you underclock, the longer it takes to undertake certain tasks so it can be a false economy.

My advice would be undervolt always and under clock never.

You cannot undervolt stock kernel

Read section 4.3 in my signature

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
1st July 2014, 03:48 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

There are no correct frequencies. Just play and find what's good. Remember though, the more you underclock, the longer it takes to undertake certain tasks so it can be a false economy.

My advice would be undervolt always and under clock never.

You cannot undervolt stock kernel

Read section 4.3 in my signature

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thank you for answering and thank you for the information! I have 1 question in order to clear some things out. What causes battery economy Underclock or undervolt?
1st July 2014, 03:50 PM |#4  
danarama's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 18,838
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmoustakas

Thank you for answering and thank you for the information! I have 1 question in order to clear some things out. What causes battery economy Underclock or undervolt?

Both have potential but really the best thing is deep sleep.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
1st July 2014, 04:06 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

Both have potential but really the best thing is deep sleep.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I already use greenify so i think it is the same thing with deep sleep. One last question, could underclock be false economy in my situations since i want it to work only when screen is off and only on active phone calls?
1st July 2014, 04:18 PM |#6  
danarama's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 18,838
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmoustakas

I already use greenify so i think it is the same thing with deep sleep. One last question, could underclock be false economy in my situations since i want it to work only when screen is off and only on active phone calls?

Screen off does not = deep sleep. In my opinion, it's best to let it do what it wants, however my kernel sets maxscreen off at 1100 MHz

Its all about clock cycles. The Stock kernel allows the CPU to run at approximately 23,000 MHz. Each MHz is a "Clock cycle" per second. So each second, you have 23,000 clock cycles. Now lets say (this is not a real value, but just humour me) that an e-mail Push takes 23,000 clock cycles. You can receive an email in 1 second. With me so far? So what if you underclock to 12,500MHz? It takes twice as long to push that same email to your phone. So now you have to work out, is 12,500MHz using more or less than half the power that 23,000MHz uses? If it is less than half, you *MAY* save some battery, but if it uses more than half, its a false economy because 2 seconds at 12,500 uses more power than 1 second at 23,000.

Does that make sense?

I've kept this basic for illustration purposes, so anyone reading, please don't make technical corrections, this is not meant to be exact or accurate
1st July 2014, 04:26 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

Screen off does not = deep sleep. In my opinion, it's best to let it do what it wants, however my kernel sets maxscreen off at 1100 MHz

Its all about clock cycles. The Stock kernel allows the CPU to run at approximately 23,000 MHz. Each MHz is a "Clock cycle" per second. So each second, you have 23,000 clock cycles. Now lets say (this is not a real value, but just humour me) that an e-mail Push takes 23,000 clock cycles. You can receive an email in 1 second. With me so far? So what if you underclock to 12,500MHz? It takes twice as long to push that same email to your phone. So now you have to work out, is 12,500MHz using more or less than half the power that 23,000MHz uses? If it is less than half, you *MAY* save some battery, but if it uses more than half, its a false economy because 2 seconds at 12,500 uses more power than 1 second at 23,000.

Does that make sense?

I've kept this basic for illustration purposes, so anyone reading, please don't make technical corrections, this is not meant to be exact or accurate

Great explanation, clearly logical thoughts. You really covered all my questions. Thank you very much! I think i am going to search for a kernel to tinker with undervolting!
Cheers and thanks again!
1st July 2014, 04:29 PM |#8  
danarama's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 18,838
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmoustakas

Great explanation, clearly logical thoughts. You really covered all my questions. Thank you very much! I think i am going to search for a kernel to tinker with undervolting!
Cheers and thanks again!

No probs. Take a nandroid backup before tinkering
The Following User Says Thank You to danarama For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th June 2015, 04:12 PM |#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Exclamation Cpu tuner do not turn Data off
Hi all

I re install Cpu Tuner on my Nexus 5 with Cataclysm 5.1
kernel elementalX


but Cpu tuner has the same behavior when a was root but stock Lollipop 5.1

It work but do not turn off or on the Data

profiles works, Wifi, Synchronisation Ok but not for Data

I'll try on 3G or 4G... I re install it same behavior :L



thanks.

PS: I used it with my Galaxy Nexus with no probleme... and I use a new conf for the Nexus5.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes