Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipTD

Sorry, I don't.

Well thank you for your help.

Anyone else know of anything? Please?
4th January 2014, 01:12 AM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 70

170 posts
As a workaround you can bluetooth tether. It's not as fast but still works well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
4th January 2014, 02:58 AM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 2

53 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsteelx

Well thank you for your help.

Anyone else know of anything? Please?

I researched this extensively (for the same reasons) and found nothing....sort of. Essentially, if you're going to connect to a hidden SSID, the machine (laptop for me, tablet for you) that wants to connect has to be looking for SSID constantly, which isn't secure. That and I literally found no way of hiding my SSID.

So I thought about it...and I remembered there was an old wireless network on my campus that most people used, but the company changed proxies/routers/everything, so the SSID was 'retired.' My wifi hotspot SSID went from "suck it" to "My-Workplace-b" since that's the naming convention that was used.
This is nice since it's not nearly as suspicious, but more importantly....most everyone around me had certain proxies and protocols set up so that they could connect to that "xx-b" SSID. Those assorted proxy settings now prohibit them from connecting to my phone wifi

tl:dr: I was disappointed I couldn't hide my SSID, learned I didn't want to hide my SSID for security reasons, but then got creative and feel good about the situation.

Hope this helps somehow. Anybody that knows how to right-click will be able to see your nexus isn't a company router, but hopefully they're not that ambitious.

edit: PS: I USB tether extensively. Way less power consuming than wifi tethering (and stealthier). Maybe can't do that with your tablet...but a thought.
4th January 2014, 08:57 AM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 514

1,535 posts
A WLAN will always be visible if you create one, all you can do it obscure the SSID by typing spaces and saving. However, then you'll need to go into advanced settings of the client device and enable connections without SSID's. In Windows 7 it's under "wlanSSID' Properties->Connections Tab->Connect even if the network is not broadcasting its name (SSID).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	N5WLANSSID.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	2493138  
6th January 2014, 02:28 AM   |  #16  
OP Member
Flag Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 7

83 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladimirhtg

I researched this extensively (for the same reasons) and found nothing....sort of. Essentially, if you're going to connect to a hidden SSID, the machine (laptop for me, tablet for you) that wants to connect has to be looking for SSID constantly, which isn't secure. That and I literally found no way of hiding my SSID.

So I thought about it...and I remembered there was an old wireless network on my campus that most people used, but the company changed proxies/routers/everything, so the SSID was 'retired.' My wifi hotspot SSID went from "suck it" to "My-Workplace-b" since that's the naming convention that was used.
This is nice since it's not nearly as suspicious, but more importantly....most everyone around me had certain proxies and protocols set up so that they could connect to that "xx-b" SSID. Those assorted proxy settings now prohibit them from connecting to my phone wifi

tl:dr: I was disappointed I couldn't hide my SSID, learned I didn't want to hide my SSID for security reasons, but then got creative and feel good about the situation.

Hope this helps somehow. Anybody that knows how to right-click will be able to see your nexus isn't a company router, but hopefully they're not that ambitious.

edit: PS: I USB tether extensively. Way less power consuming than wifi tethering (and stealthier). Maybe can't do that with your tablet...but a thought.

Thanks for your post. Have been USB tethering to my tablet, working great.

Thanks again!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread