5,606,151 Members 34,428 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

how much battery does "Hotword detection" truly consum?

Tip us?

Caniv
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default how much battery does "Hotword detection" truly consum?

not looking for an accurate measure here - just experiences from people doing trial and error

the way i get it, if Hotword detection is on, the phone ALWAYS listens incase you say a hot-word, as if the microphone is always on and a software to detect the words is always on as well

my quesition is, is this REALLY a huge battery drain as it sounds? or am i just being silly

i would prefer to keep it on but not at the cost of major battery usage

DevourDarkness
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniv View Post
not looking for an accurate measure here - just experiences from people doing trial and error

the way i get it, if Hotword detection is on, the phone ALWAYS listens incase you say a hot-word, as if the microphone is always on and a software to detect the words is always on as well

my quesition is, is this REALLY a huge battery drain as it sounds? or am i just being silly

i would prefer to keep it on but not at the cost of major battery usage
Firstly it only works from the homescreen so it's not always on. Secondly the snapdragon 800 has a low power feature dedicated to things like these. It's very similar to the dedicated cores in the X8 in the motorola x.

So in short, it uses a negligible amount of battery especially compared to something like the screen.
Nexus 5 rooted but running stock
TF 101 running timduru's kitkat rom
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DevourDarkness For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Caniv
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevourDarkness View Post
Firstly it only works from the homescreen so it's not always on. Secondly the snapdragon 800 has a low power feature dedicated to things like these. It's very similar to the dedicated cores in the X8 in the motorola x.

So in short, it uses a negligible amount of battery especially compared to something like the screen.
thanks buddy
kind of a disappointment it only works in home screen, no way to tweak and make it work when screen is off?

DevourDarkness
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
thanks buddy
kind of a disappointment it only works in home screen, no way to tweak and make it work when screen is off?
Unfortunately not yet. That's something the moto x has though so the devs are looking into porting the software over because the hardware capability is there already.
Nexus 5 rooted but running stock
TF 101 running timduru's kitkat rom

PhilipTD
Old
Thanks Meter 350
Quote:
thanks buddy
If you're into voice commands, check out utter!.

Sent from my Nexus 5

NEXUS 5 D820 STOCK KK442 FK47 DALVIK XPOSED TWRP2734