Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,128 Members 40,467 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How difficult will this be...

Tip us?

GTI6speed
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Default How difficult will this be...

So I want to make an app. Basically it involves being able to retrieve live data from an internet server that is then used to create a live railroad dispatching panel. You can search up ATCS monitor on the internet and read about it. Now, my only programming experience is with MATLAB. My question is this. How difficult would it be for me to learn the language Android is coded in and develop an app like this?

JaymzTA
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Java is not that hard to learn. Learning all the little nuances of Android dev is the tricky part. I would suggest coding in Eclipse. There are many tutorials out there at your disposal. On YouTube, TheNewBoston and MyBringBack have some good videos on the matter.

With all that being said, I believe you have posted in the wrong forum :P

GTI6speed
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymzTA View Post
Java is not that hard to learn. Learning all the little nuances of Android dev is the tricky part. I would suggest coding in Eclipse. There are many tutorials out there at your disposal. On YouTube, TheNewBoston and MyBringBack have some good videos on the matter.

With all that being said, I believe you have posted in the wrong forum :P
I figured that but at the same time I figured someone here would be able to provide a useful answer. Anyhow, thank you. :P

JaymzTA
Old
Thanks Meter 19
I thought I answered your question spot on. Maybe I misunderstood what you were asking.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,368
Quote:
I thought I answered your question spot on. Maybe I misunderstood what you were asking.
For what it is worth, so did I.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jostrus
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Default Just my 2 cents

Just my 2 cents worth.

Being that I was in GTI6speed's boat a few months ago. I had slightly more experience in coding probably, having used C, C++, PHP, and JavaScript for some web stuff. I was/am by no means a seasoned coder. I had a basic understanding of the syntax for Java, but not the overall language or API's. I read the Google Android documentation, which I found a bit non-informative at parts but it was a fairly decent primer for someone with no knowledge of Java or the Android API's. I then ventured into taking a publicly available open source app that had a few bugs in places and fixed them myself. Ok took me 4 days to do what an experienced coder probably could do in minutes but I did it without too much trouble. I then moved on to making my own app from scratch. Nothing too overly major. Just trying a GreaseMonkey like implementation as a plug-in for Dolphin Browser. It's still in pre-alpha but it's 50% functional.

So in short to answer OP's question. Not difficult if you don't mind spending some time reading up. First thing I would do differently if I were to do it all over, is get a Java language primer book. Then move into the Android API documentation. From there it's smooth sailing. There may be some books dedicated to priming someone with no Java knowledge to jump straight into Android programming but I'm afraid I don't know the title of any such books myself.

I would have to say having looked at someone else's well written and commented code probably helped me to understand what was going on and how to implement things myself.

Hope this was useful. Sorry this was probably more than 2 cents, maybe a half dollar.
The Following User Says Thank You to jostrus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GTI6speed
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Oh no I'm sorry. I meant you did provide a useful answer. Haha I meant that I figured someone in the forum could guide me in the right direction which you did. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GTI6speed For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]