Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Hands On – XDA TV

Perhaps one of the more peculiar announcements this year was the curved edge-screened … more

Nova Launcher Update Brings Lollipop Functionality and Feel

One of the most popular third party launcher on Android, Nova Launcher, has just … more

Check Your I/O Usage with Iotop for Android

Ever needed to check the I/O usage of apps? If so, you probably tried searching for an iotop … more

T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

How do you force LTE mode and not HSPA?

OP sillyshyme

22nd May 2014, 04:32 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 0

9 posts
I don't want to try disabling the hspa and calling without knowing I can flip it back on easily..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
22nd May 2014, 05:07 PM   |  #12  
wash dc
Thanks Meter: 17

146 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rraicu

I don't want to try disabling the hspa and calling without knowing I can flip it back on easily..

hey, are you on tmobile?

if so, tmobile's roaming is set within it's sim, *unless you manually select a particular nework*

"The device detects and registers on wireless networks inside T-Mobile’s calling area, but roaming networks are usually restricted to T-Mobile SIM cards. You can manually select a network only in areas where T-Mobile does not own GSM spectrum." - ~attachment~
our nexus 5s use single chip, single pathed radios, only one path is used at one time, right?

on the network side, things can be set up pretty differently -

3.3 SUBSCRIBER DATA ASPECTS: USIM/ISIM

Coexistence of LTE with WCDMA/HSPA and GSM Network requires a smooth transition of home location
register HLR towards HSS based on 3GPP specifications. This also helps in providing next generation
Data Layered Architecture that addresses operator’s needs regarding centralization of subscriber data
used for authentication across multiple layers of the same session.
The SIM/USIM is the security token in 2G/3G networks for authenticating a subscriber in the operator’s
HLR. The USIM will continue to provide user authentication function at the access level to the LTE
network.

However, it is necessary to define a mechanism for service level authentication as well, for services such
as the IMS. The ISIM (an application on the UICC) is defined to hold both the user’s access level
credentials and the IMS Private User Identity that is stored in the HSS. The ISIM enables the user to
authenticate to the LTE operator’s IMS network and access its services.

3.4 ROAMING SCENARIOS
There are two roaming scenarios based on home tunneling compared to home tunneling with the
possibility of local breakout as shown in Figure 9. The 2G/3G networks refer to legacy CS or PC based
accesses like GSM/WCDMA in the network

http://www.4gamericas.org/documents/...ay%202011x.pdf

to set up domestic roaming on this type of handset ACTUALLY make you roam moreso on other US networks, even though the sim card is provisioned with what network is OK'd?

we're not talking from an older, dual pathed chip paradigm, when that meant exactly *that*..

these newer phones are different beasts..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	26
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	2757518  
22nd May 2014, 05:13 PM   |  #13  

9 posts
Yes I'm on T-Mobile.

22nd May 2014, 05:30 PM   |  #14  
wash dc
Thanks Meter: 17

146 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rraicu

Yes I'm on T-Mobile.

LTE has an all IP backbone, with no circuit switching mechanism, the network would provide that, & from my understanding from reading up on it, wcdma provides the **IP flattening** for voice on the gsm networks, just as ehrpd does for cdma networks..

what would happen if you switch on domestic roaming in -

APN & data settings

To set the Access Point Name (APN) and turn on data settings, follow these steps:

1.From any Home screen, tap the All appsAll Apps.pngicon.
2.Tap Settings.
3.Under 'WIRELESS & NETWORKS," tap More... to display more options.
4.Tap Mobile networks.
5.Check the Data enabled check box.
6.Check the Data roaming check box to receive data when roaming domestically
7.Uncheck the Data roaming check box when roaming internationally to avoid incurring roaming charges.
8.Tap Access Point Names
9.Choose from the following:•MetroPCS - fast.metropcs.com
•T-Mobile GPRS
•T-Mobile GPRS - fast.t-mobile.com

do you think you'd simply, roam on another provider?

i suspect it would aid your phone in it's LTE to GSM voice handling..

i suspect strongly.. setting it to *LTE* in -

Switch 2G / 4G / LTE

To change the band between 2G, 4G, and LTE, follow these steps:

1.From any Home screen, tap the All appsAll Apps.pngicon.
2.Tap Settings.
3.Under 'WIRELESS & NETWORKS," tap More... to display more options.
4.Tap Mobile networks.
5.Tap Preferred Network Selection.
6.Choose from the following:•LTE
•3G
•2G

on yet another note,, your handset may be functioning more properly than you could imagine; in your OP

"on the device the preferred network type is LTE but most of the time it falls back to HSPA mode and not LTE how do you force the LTE mode only? My location get's 3-4 bars for LTE coverage and all 5 bars for HSPA but LTE is faster"

tmobile's LTE may simply be having issues for a spell, to be worked out at a later date, & you're falling back on hspa+ asa failsafe..

you may not have to change a darn thing..
22nd May 2014, 05:35 PM   |  #15  

9 posts
In the Palo Alto area LTE doesn't always stay on and the HSPA+ does not actually transfer any data. Sometimes hspa+ is on when weak LTE is available. In situations where I want wreak LTE over strong but useless hspa+ I need to force LTE not just prefer it

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread