Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,495 Members 37,841 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How severe is your backlight bleed?

Tip us?

Robotized
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] How severe is your backlight bleed?

I just upgraded to a Nexus 5 and I am noticing some light bleed while in the dark when my screen is black and the brightness is greater than 40%. I've only noticed it when looking for it, but it's bothering my OCD. I also understand some degree of bleed is normal for LCD panels, but I'm unable to spot it on my friends iPhone. So how severe does your Nexus 5 bleed when displaying black backgrounds in the dark? Please don't say it doesn't bleed unless you've checked.

To check, view a black background in the dark with 100% brightness.
or install "Backlight Bleed Test" from the Play Store.

Unfortunately, I don't have a good enough camera to accurately show my bleed. It's primarily in the top left corner with a little along the top edge.

CitizenLee
Old
Thanks Meter 492
My screen has a bit of bleed in down the left side next to the volume rocker. I only really notice it when the device is booting up though.

It does bother me a little, but not enough to return the phone.
Main Device: Google Nexus 5
Other Devices: Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Samsung Galaxy S2, Motorola Moto G
Retired: HTC Hero, HTC Wildfire S, HTC Desire HD, Samsung Galaxy Note 1
Dropbox | Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to CitizenLee For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MaCroX95
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I am also getting bleed but that isn't really a problem for me because when it's dark i lower my brightness settings and when its brighter I increase it.... Phone on the other hand works awesomelly and full brightness is great compared to Galaxy devices I've been using before...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to MaCroX95 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 294
The bigger the screen is the more chance for light bleed to occur.

Every LCD I've owned has had it to varying degrees, the N5 least of them all.

W32
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bblzd For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,406
Big thread already exists on this

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2513944

Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

Robotized
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the responses everyone.

Sorry to those who might consider this a duplicate thread. I did notice some others, but I decided to make a new thread since most past post regarding bleed are from November to December and quality control could have improved since then.

bushako
Old
Thanks Meter 278
I never had light bleed until I managed to somehow drop a blunt heavy object on the phone. It didn't crack the screen but now when I crank up the brightness I can see light bleeds near the volume buttons in dark backgrounds only. It gets to me but after I brought down my OCD a notch it's not so bad, as long as it doesn't interfere to normal operations.

Nexus 5 - 32GB - D820 - latest 4.4.4 Mahdi ROM with Franco's Kernel

Sony Xperia Z Ultra - C6833 - White - Latest stock rom and kernel - rooted with Dual Recovery.

laufersteppenwolf
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5,208

DONATE TO ME
Thread closed, please use THIS one for further discussions.

Thanks
Sony Ericsson Xperia X8: GingerDX v31b ; alfs CM7 v09c
LG Optimus 4x HD: my own version of CM 10.1 , CWM recovery, UNlocked BL

Crying that it's an application bug is like crying over the speed of light: you should deal with reality, not what you wish reality was. - Linus Torvalds

The Following User Says Thank You to laufersteppenwolf For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe