FORUMS

Google Now Marches Forward with ‘Now on Tap’

When Google Now was announced three years ago, it revolutionized the mobile … more

I/O 2015: Google Announces App Link Enhancements

During the Google I/O Keynote, VP of Engineering Dave Burke announced that the Android … more

Google Announces its IoT platform titled ‘Brillo’

A few days ago, a leak highlighted Google’s foray into the Internet … more

Android M Adds “Doze” Deep Sleeping

Android M has answered the call of battery by adding in a deeper sleep implementation … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

How many times you have dropped your NEXUS 5 ?

8th January 2015, 09:25 PM |#231  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 219

More
I just dropped mine face first from 5ft up. Landed clean on its face, completely destroyed the nilkin screen protector, the screen itself is mint and the sides haven't taken damage. #win

11th January 2015, 10:49 PM |#232  
Flag Moncton
Thanks Meter: 74

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by humzaahmed155

I just dropped mine face first from 5ft up. Landed clean on its face, completely destroyed the nilkin screen protector, the screen itself is mint and the sides haven't taken damage. #win

Is that a film style protector or glass type?
11th January 2015, 11:01 PM |#233  
Recognized Contributor
Flag えうれる
Thanks Meter: 3,197

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayR_L

Is that a film style protector or glass type?

Its tempered glass.
12th January 2015, 12:28 AM |#234  
Flag Moncton
Thanks Meter: 74

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethargy

Its tempered glass.

Oh, I was looking into those and I'm iffy, but then again I'd much rather the protector explode than the screen itself...
12th January 2015, 02:32 AM |#235  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Arghh, some guy just bumped into me and my phone dropped 4.5ft flat onto concrete on its back. It made the loudest thud sound. I was in the middle of swiping a message so screen was on.

A few scuff marks on one of the corners but no damage. Phone is totally naked. I'm impressed with the durability of our phones.
12th January 2015, 04:16 AM |#236  
Flag Tacoma, WA
Thanks Meter: 22

More
I was on a bike ride. The Nexus 5 was in a battery on a phone mount on my bike. Near the end of the long ride I had to get off the curb past the freeway entrance and back up the curb.
As soon as I got off the curb, the phone popped up and off the battery pack attached to the phone mount.
I just FREAKED OUT!! As a result, I jammed on the bike brakes and flipped off the bike. My shoes fell off and I landed on the asphalt.
My buddy is like "are you ok?"
Frightened about a possible shattered screen, I slowly reached over and and picked up my face down Nexus 5.
Just a few slight scratches.
"My phones fine, I'm ok."
He's like - "are you ok??"
"Yes! My phones fine, I'm ok!"

Till this day, I've still never used a screen protector. It flipped off my bike and landed face down on the asphalt road.
Best phone ever.
The Following User Says Thank You to SoTacMatt For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th January 2015, 08:05 AM |#237  
Flag Male'
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Thumbs up More than i can even count
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagar Khanapurkar

How many times you dropped your phone without case ? What happened ? Did it survived ?
Can nexus get destroyed in single drop ?

Do you suggest other users to use case just to save it from an unfortunate drop ?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

I have dropped my Nexus 5 a lot. More than i can even count. I last dropped it last night. tried to take it out from pocket, accidentally slips and fell to the tiles screen down. NOT even a scratch. It fell a couple times from 5ft high, nothing happend. I even dropped it while riding my motor cycle, well that left some scratch on upper left corner.. but nothing serious.. not even a scratch on the display.

I only used a back cover for a months. Took it away because there was no use for it.

All i want to say is though its a plastic build, nexus 5 is a beast.. solid as a rock..

Well this is my review.. others may have different experiences..
13th January 2015, 09:37 AM |#238  
Thanks Meter: 57

More
First drop for my current N5 as well (I've had 4 ).
I placed it on the (very slippery) aluminum lid of my MacBook Pro, and put the two on a 2m tall shelf. Having completely forgotten about the phone being there, when I took the laptop back, the phone fell right on the marble floor. Luckily it had the original Google bumper case, and got no visible damage.
Now I'm home and I can't test it, but the most fragile internal component in smartphones is the GPS module AFAIK. I really hope it's not damaged one of my previous N5s had it damaged after a drop.
14th January 2015, 01:49 AM |#239  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Dropped it 3-4 times now, no screen damage, just small scuff marks at the edge. One time the back cover kinda came off but just popped it back in place. Most of the time that it's been dropped, it's because of my siblings >.<. I've been lucky since I don't have any type of case.
14th January 2015, 05:01 AM |#240  
Flag Budapest
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Dropped only once. Into the bathtub. Full of water...
The phone did survive eventually tho, fished it out after a few seconds of underwater swimming, screen was still on, not responding to any touches. Managed to remove battery a few minutes later (10-15).
Disassembled to pieces and cleaned everything with clean alcohol, came back to life after a while, first only part of the touchscreen became responsive, a while later the rest too...
I am using the phone ever since, this was like 6 months ago...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread