Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,375 Members 45,550 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to mirror my PC screen to my Nexus 5?

Tip us?

StarSquall
Old
(Last edited by StarSquall; 16th July 2014 at 04:42 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] How to mirror my PC screen to my Nexus 5?

Hi Everyone,

Most people are asking how to mirror their phone's screen to a TV or PC monitor. Well I need to do the opposite. Does anyone know how I can mirror my PC screen to my Nexus 5? I am looking for the option with the least lag, even if it is via USB and not wireless.

Thanks in advance!

PsychDrummer
Old
Thanks Meter 77
I would say your best bet would be to use Chrome Remote Desktop. Download the app on your phone, and download the chrome extension on your PC.

StarSquall
Old
(Last edited by StarSquall; 16th July 2014 at 05:13 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDrummer View Post
I would say your best bet would be to use Chrome Remote Desktop. Download the app on your phone, and download the chrome extension on your PC.
Thanks. I will try that. Do you know if it is laggy?
Actually I don't need to be able to work with my desktop through my phone. All I need is to see what is displayed on my PC with the least lag possible.

PsychDrummer
Old
Thanks Meter 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarSquall View Post
Thanks. I will try that. Do you know if it is laggy?
It has worked the best for me out of all the similar apps (i.e teamviewer). However, it depends on what you need it for. For example, if you want to mirror videos it might not work well.

grod46
Old
Thanks Meter 15

DONATE TO ME
You can try splashtop, it usually is pretty smooth https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e.pad.v2&hl=en
or even microsoft's own remote desktop app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ft.rdc.android
The Following User Says Thank You to grod46 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

StarSquall
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
You can try splashtop, it usually is pretty smooth
or even microsoft's own remote desktop app

Thanks a lot, splashtop works reasonably well. I have an AMD video card, so I suppose that helps a bit.
I do not need the desktop controls, etc. I need so to say, just use my phone as a monitor, so if I can find something with even better quality and sacrificing those controls it would be even better

brichardson1991
Old
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarSquall View Post
You can try splashtop, it usually is pretty smooth
or even microsoft's own remote desktop app

Thanks a lot, splashtop works reasonably well. I have an AMD video card, so I suppose that helps a bit.
I do not need the desktop controls, etc. I need so to say, just use my phone as a monitor, so if I can find something with even better quality and sacrificing those controls it would be even better
The quality will all be down to the network on both ends.

So the download speed of your phone and the upload speed of your home internet. If these are weak you will always experience problems.

Apps like teamviewer help as they connect to a middle man server which means you are less likely to see as big a delay than connecting directly where the connection as I said above is more dependant.

Not used splashtop personally. Microsoft's RDP is alright but I'm happy with Teamviewer i use it on all my pc's i work on. Having it on my mobile just means I can work from anywhere remotely.
The Following User Says Thank You to brichardson1991 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

StarSquall
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichardson1991 View Post
The quality will all be down to the network on both ends.

So the download speed of your phone and the upload speed of your home internet. If these are weak you will always experience problems.

Apps like teamviewer help as they connect to a middle man server which means you are less likely to see as big a delay than connecting directly where the connection as I said above is more dependant.

Not used splashtop personally. Microsoft's RDP is alright but I'm happy with Teamviewer i use it on all my pc's i work on. Having it on my mobile just means I can work from anywhere remotely.
Ok. So I was wandering if there is a way to do that via USB in order to avoid the internet issues, of course only if it can get better. I am not sure exactly what bandwidth is needed to stream my 1080p screen and if it can be done smoothly via micro USB.

Other than that I have an acceptable amount of lag with splashtop, yet it crashes if I go full screen on my PC for some programs (I tried a few games too). But running in windowed mode works fine.