Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,302 Members 49,542 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[How-To] Root encrypted Nexus 5 after OTA update to 4.4.3

Tip us?

Volker Kamin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [How-To] Root encrypted Nexus 5 after OTA update to 4.4.3

Hi!

I had some trouble regaining root on my encrypted Nexus 5, so here is the quick guide on what finally did it.

If you do not know how to do the following or where to get the files, you might want to read up on a more comprehensive how-to first!

-> in bootloader: fastboot: flash CWM recovery (stock recovery fails file integrity in next step)
--> recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.4.5-hammerhead.img
-> in recovery (sideload): adb sideload SuperSU's update.zip
--> UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.80.zip

CWM's default action to regain root failed, as did sideloading the update.zip via the stock recovery.
I was a little afraid I might corrupt my encrypted data partition, but so far everything looks good.

Have fun.

Lethargy
Old
Thanks Meter 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volker Kamin View Post
Hi!

I had some trouble regaining root on my encrypted Nexus 5, so here is the quick guide on what finally did it.

If you do not know how to do the following or where to get the files, you might want to read up on a more comprehensive how-to first!

-> in bootloader: fastboot: flash CWM recovery (stock recovery fails file integrity in next step)
--> recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.4.5-hammerhead.img
-> in recovery (sideload): adb sideload SuperSU's update.zip
--> UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.80.zip

CWM's default action to regain root failed, as did sideloading the update.zip via the stock recovery.
I was a little afraid I might corrupt my encrypted data partition, but so far everything looks good.

Have fun.
Uh, this is basically the same as an un-encrypted Nexus 5?
Flash custom recovery, flash SuperSU in custom recovery?

Also you might want to update your outdated SuperSU as the latest version is v1.99r5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphur
You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.

Volker Kamin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethargy View Post
Uh, this is basically the same as an un-encrypted Nexus 5?
Flash custom recovery, flash SuperSU in custom recovery?

Also you might want to update your outdated SuperSU as the latest version is v1.99r5.
Somewhat the same.
In the past, CWM was able to automatically regain root for me after OTA-Update. This time that failed. It might be due to some other reason; I cannot really see how encryption might be the cause, but other devices without encryption don't seem to have the problem.

You also have to use sideload, because you cannot mount /data in CWM once it's encrypted.

Thanks for the update reminder.