5,593,650 Members 39,172 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to transfer google play warranty?

Tip us?

n023b
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default How to transfer google play warranty?

Hi i just bought a used nexus 5 from a seller that bought it from google how do I get the warranty transferred to me? TIA

shotta35
Old
Thanks Meter 449
It shouldn't matter but i'm hearing stories that it does and in that case the seller (original buyer) would need to call google and transfer it.

Dunno though because LG is the one that warrants the device from defects so you should be able to call LG directly. I suggested that to someone before however and they said they were told to call Google or original point of sale.

Makes no sense though but I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to shotta35 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

n023b
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotta35 View Post
It shouldn't matter but i'm hearing stories that it does and in that case the seller (original buyer) would need to call google and transfer it.

Dunno though because LG is the one that warrants the device from defects so you should be able to call LG directly. I suggested that to someone before however and they said they were told to call Google or original point of sale.

Makes no sense though but I guess.
Thanks.

After he transfers it do I need a receipt or anything?

wideasleep1
Old
Thanks Meter 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by n023b View Post
Thanks.

After he transfers it do I need a receipt or anything?
On prior Nexi, if the item was purchased from anyone other than Google itself, only the manufacturer's warranty applied, not sellers (Google). If anyone discovers this NOT to be the case, please inform us of the circumstances.
B/W Sidekick/Color Sidekick2/TMO MDA/TMO Dash/G1/Nexus 1/Sensation/SGS3/Nexus 4/Nexus 5

n023b
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideasleep1 View Post
On prior Nexi, if the item was purchased from anyone other than Google itself, only the manufacturer's warranty applied, not sellers (Google). If anyone discovers this NOT to be the case, please inform us of the circumstances.
I'm pretty sure googles warranty transfers over

kboya
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Read the play terms. They state that it is still warrantied as a'gift'

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to kboya For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

markdapimp
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by kboya View Post
Read the play terms. They state that it is still warrantied as a'gift'

What consider it being gift like buying it on swappa?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

kboya
Old
Thanks Meter 26
As a "gift". You say you got it as a gift. Gplay state no reselling, but you are allowed to gift it. They store the imei numbers of the ones sold via gplay. Lg will ask for proof of purchase. Gplay use the imei numbers. Return it as a "gift".

Also, and before the flames begin, there's no real moral implication here. products are warrantied for at least 12months. The ownership of said item is not the issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to kboya For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kopower
Old
Thanks Meter 34
I just got off the phone with a Google representative, and he told me the "giftee" may call Google to inform them the phone was received as a gift, so they can change the warranty info. Whether this is true or not, I'm not 100% positive. I asked if the person giving the gift needed to do it, and he assured me the person receiving the phone could call in and do it.

Hopefully this is accurate, as I am debating on buying a Nexus 5 on the play store vs used. It would be nice to still have close to a year warranty through Google, and not have to pay taxes and shipping on a new phone.
HTC Rezound S-Off
Running Carbon Rom
TWRP 2.6.3
White 32GB Nexus 5
Sero 7 Pro XE-Sero ROM