5,593,293 Members 32,419 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to update the phone if you have a custom recovery?

Tip us?

Sensamic
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Default How to update the phone if you have a custom recovery?

Right now I'm rooted and unlocked but I didn't installed a custom recovery because then updates OTA fail, but I've read somewhere that even with a custom recovery you can update to the latest update from Google when released.

How do you people do this? Is it the sideload thing? How many ways are there to update correctly keeping the custom recovery?

After updating does the custom recovery disappear or it stays intact?

Where can I see a guide?

Should I install a custom recovery or keep my setup? The thing I miss is having a nandroid backup to be safe when flashing stuff.

Thanks.

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2224
As long as you don't modify anything system stuff, build.prop, exposed framework, etc, on your phone the ota will update with a custom recovery. After you update the custom recovery will be replaced with the stock recovery and root will be lost. I've tested this on my phone

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7379
Read "ota helpdesk" sticky thread in general.

Often, questions are "pre answered" in sticky threads. If you're looking for a guide,.check the stickies in general and q&a first please

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.