5,597,647 Members 33,046 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] IMEI of 0 after TWRP restore

Tip us?

qwen3579
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Thanks for the help guys. Luckily, I still have my old with the cracked screen. I'm just going to have to take the screen off the new one and put it on my old one..which is what I was trying to avoid.

Beats having to buy another one due to my screw up.

qwen3579
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
Speed kills

---------- Post added at 08:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------

Speed kills
LOL...says the guy with a Porsche!
The Following User Says Thank You to qwen3579 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwen3579 View Post
That's what I thought. I usually back up everything before doing anything. I just got in a rush....
It's a harsh lesson
Google Nexus 5 (LG-D821) 32GB
ROM: Android 4.4.2 (KOT49H) | Bootloader: HHZ11d | Recovery: Stock | Baseband: M8974A-1.0.25.0.23 | Kernel: Stock

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!!

qwen3579
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Alright, so I swapped the motherboards of the phones, booted up my new phone, restored from nandroid (avoiding the EFS this time, just in case) and I'm back up - crack free.

Thanks for the info guys, lesson learned.

"What do we do when we fall"?

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2255
Quote:
Alright, so I swapped the motherboards of the phones, booted up my new phone, restored from nandroid (avoiding the EFS this time, just in case) and I'm back up - crack free.

Thanks for the info guys, lesson learned.

"What do we do when we fall"?
Glad you got something working

WoodburyMan
Old
Thanks Meter 449
Yea. All guides need to make sure to post a warning and a link to the EFS backup thread. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2514095

First thing I did was make a backup of mine and store it away in a safe place as well as on the phone. I've flashed two friend's N5's with CM as well, and I did the same with their EFS just in case something happens.

One other route you could try is restoring the phone to factory default, relock the bootloader so the mod trip isn't set, and send it back saying it wont connect to cell network, and take your chances RMAing it. However the display swap may be easier. Either way once you swap your display back, do a EFS backup with that link and save the files it makes in a safe place.
White Nexus 5 32gb Android 4.4.2 Unofficial SlimROM Daily Builds
Nexus 7 2013 Android 4.4.2 Unofficial SlimROM Daily Builds
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 Android 4.4.2 Unofficial SlimROM Daily Builds
Archos Home Connect 35 4gb Android 2.2 Rooted Stock Firmware 2.4.83
Nook Classic 3G

Juansegovia20
Old
Thanks Meter 103
Quote:
I shattered the screen on my Nexus 5 so I ordered a replacement from Google and before switching to the new one, I made a nandroid backup using TWRP.

I put my SIM in the new Nexus, transferred my nandroid backup, and restored it to my new phone.

Now, I cannot connect to AT&T due to my IMEI showing as 0.

I think I have narrowed down the problem to restoring the EFS partition on the new phone when I wasn't supposed to? So far, I have tried restoring the phone to stock (from this guide). I even tried manually changing the IMEI to the correct number (but it doesn't stick, just reverts to 0).

Is there something else that needs to be wiped in the stock restore process that's not covered in that guide? What am I missing? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Somewhere in xda there is a guide to create an imei,i don't have the link to the thread, I'll see if i can find it for you or you may Google it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

qwen3579
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juansegovia20 View Post
Somewhere in xda there is a guide to create an imei,i don't have the link to the thread, I'll see if i can find it for you or you may Google it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I found a guide CATing the IMEI to /dev/pttycmd1 - that didn't work. Most are hesitant with sharing info on changing IMEIs, which is understandable. It's just frustrating knowing what the problem is and not being able to fix it.