5,603,646 Members 37,287 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

IMEI=0 - how to enter working IMEI?

Tip us?

RogerG
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Default IMEI=0 - how to enter working IMEI?

Hi everyone & thanks for reading this!

I bought 2 new, unused Nexus 5 as presents for my sisters for Christmas (not via playstore, but via a reseller. Still: new, sealed, unused.)
I unlocked, installed a custom recovery, rooted both devices without problems, then set up one in a smartphone-newbie-friendly way, which took quite some time. Then, to save me some time, I fear I made quite a big mistake: I made a nandroid-backup of the newly-setup device and restored/installed it on the second nexus (so I wouldn't have to change all the settings again, install apps, etc).
Unfortunately, this seems to have erased the IMEI on the second device (it shows as IMEI=0), so I can't connect to any cell service. Some googling leads me to believe that this might be due to a corrupt/missing EFS-folder, which, second mistake, I did NOT make a backup of beforehand. I know, it's my own fault - my thinking was: why backup, there's nothing backupworthy on the device *yet*.

FML.

I am not sure if the phone is still in warranty (and even if it was - I guess I voided that by unlocking/rooting?!). I want to re-iterate that I own both devices LEGALLY, I have the bill, I have the original sticker with the original IMEI - I just need a way to re-enter it. Any dialer-code for that? Any modify-able EFS-backups? Any other way?

Thanks in advance!

PS: tried so far & found useless: other simcard (not working) & simcard in other phone (working), so it's a device-issue; factory-reset;

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2267
Try fastboot flashing the cache.img from the factory image.
The Following User Says Thank You to jd1639 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RogerG
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
Try fastboot flashing the cache.img from the factory image.
thanks for the super-quick reply jd1639!

to make sure I understand you correctly:
I can use the factory image from
https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aos...y-02006b99.tgz
(nexus 5, android 4.4.2), extract the cache.img from there & flash that via fastboot? (or would it have to be a factory image of this very device - which I do not have, unfortunately)

and, just for my understanding: how does that restore the imei? I mean, the factory image itself (or it's cache) can't really contain MY imei. does this just delete the invalid imei & force the phone to get it's original imei from some other, not yet overwritten source? e.g. hardware?

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7486
Yes fastboot flash the cache.img from the factory image is a known fix for this issue. Something has corrupt your cache causing the imei to not display properly

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RogerG
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Thank you for clarifying, rootSU - that gives me hope.
I will try tomorrow & hopefully report success

RogerG
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Just tried this (twice) - unfortunately no success, IMEI is still 0

downloaded factory image, verified md5, extracted cache.img, flashed in fastboot; every step successful - final result is still IMEI=0. Tried again, this time erasing cache beforehand for good measure - still IMEI 0.

What else can I try?

PS: this seems to be the only issue - no hw-problems or similar. directly after boot, the device seems to connect to a mobile network for a second, then gets kicked out (due to missing/invalid IMEI, I suppose).

charesa39
Old
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerG View Post

downloaded factory image, verified md5, extracted cache.img, flashed in fastboot; every step successful - final result is still IMEI=0. Tried again, this time erasing cache beforehand for good measure - still IMEI 0.

What else can I try?

PS: this seems to be the only issue - no hw-problems or similar. directly after boot, the device seems to connect to a mobile network for a second, then gets kicked out (due to missing/invalid IMEI, I suppose).
Did you use TWRP for the original nandroid backup that you restored on the new one? If so, you may have backed up, and consequently flashed the EFS from the original N5 to the new one. If so, I hate to say this, but I don't think there's any hope of getting the IMEI back on the new one...
The Following User Says Thank You to charesa39 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CellPhish
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerG View Post

What else can I try?

I had a problem with my phone IMEI (Nexus 4) before. It would say unknown. The reason why was I flashed a bad radio and boot loader version. So what I did was find a thread on the N4 section for the right radio and bootloader. I'm not exactly sure if this will work on your part, but I don't think it'll hurt to try. Oh and maybe reflash the factory image.

Sent from a potato

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 AM ----------

Sorry for double post. Check this link out and go to the second post talking about IMEI. Idk if this will help you out. Good luck
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2510966

Sent from a potato
The Following User Says Thank You to CellPhish For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RogerG
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by charesa39 View Post
Did you use TWRP for the original nandroid backup that you restored on the new one? If so, you may have backed up, and consequently flashed the EFS from the original N5 to the new one. If so, I hate to say this, but I don't think there's any hope of getting the IMEI back on the new one...
yes, that's precisely what I did.
That's why I had little hope of restoring the original IMEI and was instead asking in my original post for a way to enter it anew (since I KNOW what it should be).

RogerG
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CellPhish View Post
I had a problem with my phone IMEI (Nexus 4) before. It would say unknown. The reason why was I flashed a bad radio and boot loader version. So what I did was find a thread on the N4 section for the right radio and bootloader. I'm not exactly sure if this will work on your part, but I don't think it'll hurt to try. Oh and maybe reflash the factory image.

Sent from a potato

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 AM ----------

Sorry for double post. Check this link out and go to the second post talking about IMEI. Idk if this will help you out. Good luck
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2510966

Sent from a potato
thanks I will try this (even though I think my problem is not related to radio/bootloader and I am generally skeptical about my chances of "restoring" IMEI, as opposed to "manually entering/modifying it"). Still, willing to try anything, thanks for the idea!