XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Immersive mode in apps

Tip us?

awesomenexus
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Immersive mode in apps

While this question is not directly related to Nexus 5, but since it is one of the few devices running KitKat, I'm posting it here. Its been more than a month since KitKat has launched, but even today the "immersive mode" (which I feel is SO important!) has not been translated to many apps that I use regularly -- Kindle, Pocket, Feedly etc. Its not like these apps haven't updated in the last month or so (they have). Is there any reason why these companies have not considered putting immersive mode as a priority item?

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7517
Stability is always the priority. Ask the developers of each app if they plan to support it. We don't know the answer in that, we cannot read minds

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

unvaluablespace
Old
Thanks Meter 13
There is an Xposed module on these forums somewhere, that enables immersive mode everywhere. It has a few flaws though, as some apps just don't work right with it, or once the navigation bar pops back up, it cuts off the portion of the screen.

However the ones that did work with it, it worker great. It would be nice for someone to make an app or tweak to force selected apps into immersive mode, while allowing the navigation bar to stay where needed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to unvaluablespace For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

_MetalHead_
Old
Thanks Meter 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by unvaluablespace View Post
There is an Xposed module on these forums somewhere, that enables immersive mode everywhere. It has a few flaws though, as some apps just don't work right with it, or once the navigation bar pops back up, it cuts off the portion of the screen.

However the ones that did work with it, it worker great. It would be nice for someone to make an app or tweak to force selected apps into immersive mode, while allowing the navigation bar to stay where needed.

I still use expanded desktop + PIE controls. I think it works better than immersive mode. I turn it on when gaming.
\m/(-_-)\m/

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7517
I used the "Immerse me" xposed module, but it had some issues. Fore example in the AOSP messaging app, when the keyboard popped up, the last message received appeared inbetween the keyboard and where I was typing the message, but only partly. part was behind where I typed teh message. I found that disorientating. Also in tapatalk, which I use a lot - when the keyboard came up, teh top of tapatalk (the tapatalk toolbar) disappeared and I couldn't scroll. Really tricky to use with Pie as I had to keep backing out of the keyboard to do things within tapatalk when typing messages.
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

unvaluablespace
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MetalHead_ View Post
I still use expanded desktop + PIE controls. I think it works better than immersive mode. I turn it on when gaming.
Could you elaborate on this? A quick play store search couldn't find expanded desktop, but I found something called pie control.

_MetalHead_
Old
Thanks Meter 1987
Quote:
Could you elaborate on this? A quick play store search couldn't find expanded desktop, but I found something called pie control.

I'll do you one better, here's a guide I put together- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2554592
\m/(-_-)\m/
The Following User Says Thank You to _MetalHead_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

unvaluablespace
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MetalHead_ View Post
I'll do you one better, here's a guide I put together- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2554592
Hey man thanks for this! This is pretty much what I've been wanting. Now I can use the full resolution of my nexus 5! Great for streaming my PC games. Woohoo!

Would still be nice to have some sort of way to choose what apps go full screen, cuz it would just be easier to already have the nav bar for apps that are better suited for it, then go away on ones you want full screen for, but this is still a lot better than the immersive module for xposed. Thanks again.

_MetalHead_
Old
Thanks Meter 1987
Quote:
Hey man thanks for this! This is pretty much what I've been wanting. Now I can use the full resolution of my nexus 5! Great for streaming my PC games. Woohoo!

Would still be nice to have some sort of way to choose what apps go full screen, cuz it would just be easier to already have the nav bar for apps that are better suited for it, then go away on ones you want full screen for, but this is still a lot better than the immersive module for xposed. Thanks again.

Hey no prob, happy to help. It kinda breathes new life into the phone, doesn't it? This mod saved my N5 from being tossed in a drawer. I use it more than my Moto X now, just because of gaming on its 5" screen.
\m/(-_-)\m/