Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,892 Members 42,921 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Inactive YouTube drains a lot of battery

Tip us?

xxxmarienxxx
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13

DONATE TO ME
Battery Full [Q] Inactive YouTube drains a lot of battery

So of course I know YouTube uses a lot of battery when watching some video's, which I do a lot. This, however, isn't the problem I'm experiencing.

So lets say my phone is 100% charged and still on its charger, and I start watching a video or two. Then I close the app (still in multitask bar) and take it off the charger. I use my phone a bit, put it in my pocket and just forget about it. After a few minutes/hours battery has dropped almost 10% (depends on time). Checking battery stats shows YouTube using most of the battery, more than screen and other processes.

Here's a screenshot of today. Just normal battery usage, then i watched two 4 minute videos over WiFi, closed YouTube and put it away. Got about 10% drop in the following 30 minutes.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-05-30-21-57-18.png
Views:	74
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	2771743Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-05-30-22-03-04.png
Views:	66
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	2771744

Clearing the YouTube app from recents does get rid of the problem, but it seems that this is something unusual, and I hoped someone had a more permanent solution.

My device is running on stock rom with Franco kernel v50 (Vomer settings), although I've had this problem with earlier versions of Franco kernel with other settings. Furthermore I'm using Xposed with App Settings, AppOpsXposed, Gravitybox and Unicon. Using custom DPI for whole system and certain apps (using App Settings). If I forgot some crucial information I'll hear it.

I hope someone can help.
Previous devices:
Samsung X660 - Died in the rain
LG KP500 Cookie - Broken pixel after 2 months
Samsung Wave S8500 - Didn't like Bada
Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250 - Was awesome, but bought the...

Current
LG Nexus 5 (Stock for now) - Amazing! Great upgrade from GNex

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,333
Reboot the device and see if the problem continues. It probably just got hung up the one time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21,422
from your screenshots, youtube doesnt look like your problem. it only used 18% of your battery thats already used, and only kept your phone awake for 2 and a half minutes. when you close an app in your app via the multitask bar, you arent actually closing the app(its the same as just backing out of the app). but google play services is taking much more battery than it should.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Aerowinder
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,229
Greenify.

Google Firmware: Google
USB Drivers: Google | Mirror
ADB+ADB Drivers: 19.0.2 (4.4.4) + Koush Universal ADB Drivers

TWRP Official: hammerhead | flo
TWRP Holofied: hammerhead | flo

Gapps: jajb

Superuser: Chainfire | Mirror
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerowinder For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

raegae2000
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I had the same issue, but only happens sometimes. If you check FKU - CPU usage you'll notice sometimes it will be on four cores and as soon as you close it from recents it will revert back to two cores. Also happens on Instagram if im using it for a long time.

xxxmarienxxx
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13

DONATE TO ME
Rebooting won't fix anything, been having this problem for months now, just always cleared recents to avoid the drain. Plus its a consistent problem, i can predict it draining battery when i leave it open, and it stops draining when I remove it from recents. That's why I'm confused. I will try Greenify, and thanks for the tips everyone.

Still, I find it strange that, even though you say the drain can't be from YouTube, it's always YouTube causing the problem in the first place. And the thing about Google Play Services, mostly it's this high in the list. It reports 7m52s CPU and 43m11s Keep Awake right now (1hr after OP). Is this not good? What can I do to fix that?
Previous devices:
Samsung X660 - Died in the rain
LG KP500 Cookie - Broken pixel after 2 months
Samsung Wave S8500 - Didn't like Bada
Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250 - Was awesome, but bought the...

Current
LG Nexus 5 (Stock for now) - Amazing! Great upgrade from GNex
Tags
battery, drain, drain battery, inactive, youtube