infinite boot :x

Search This thread

nel0

Nov 23, 2015
hi !
few month ago i rooted my nexus5 and installed a custom rom (pure nexus), everything was OK. but today i tried to install the last version of "pure nexus", so i downloaded the zip file, pushed it on the device, launched a flash zip with nexus root toolkit (everything was ok on the screen) but then it restart, and get stuck during the boot (4 small circle rotating...)
maybe i've done something wrong? how can i fix it? :eek:
(sorry i'm a noob !)
thanks!

vorinc

Nov 23, 2015
hi !
few month ago i rooted my nexus5 and installed a custom rom (pure nexus), everything was OK. but today i tried to install the last version of "pure nexus", so i downloaded the zip file, pushed it on the device, launched a flash zip with nexus root toolkit (everything was ok on the screen) but then it restart, and get stuck during the boot (4 small circle rotating...)
maybe i've done something wrong? how can i fix it? :eek:
(sorry i'm a noob !)
thanks!

Hi!
Congratulations, this is your first bootloop. Nothing to worry about. I guess your problem is due to the fact that you were coming from a lollipop based custom rom. Before you install a marshmallow based custom rom you need to install the marshmallow factory image first. If you're using the nexus root toolkit you can always click on the magic "flash stock - unroot" button. This is the easiest way for you.
My suggestion is to flash the factory image manually with ADB. In this way you'll know the basics of modding and it will be very useful for you in future. If you want you can follow this guide http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/general/tutorial-how-to-flash-factory-image-t2513701

nel0

Nov 23, 2015
Hi!
Congratulations, this is your first bootloop. Nothing to worry about. I guess your problem is due to the fact that you were coming from a lollipop based custom rom. Before you install a marshmallow based custom rom you need to install the marshmallow factory image first. If you're using the nexus root toolkit you can always click on the magic "flash stock - unroot" button. This is the easiest way for you.
My suggestion is to flash the factory image manually with ADB. In this way you'll know the basics of modding and it will be very useful for you in future. If you want you can follow this guide http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/general/tutorial-how-to-flash-factory-image-t2513701

thanks for your answer! :)
alright, after installing a marshmallow factory image, everything was OK \0/
so i was wondering : is it possible to "update" a custom rom without wiping everything? :/ (is that what people call a dirty flash?)

thanks again for your help

vorinc

Nov 23, 2015
is it possible to "update" a custom rom without wiping everything? :/ (is that what people call a dirty flash?)

Yes, that's what "dirty flash" means. It is possible as long as the update doesn't concern an android version. An example is your case: lollipop-->marshmallow.
In facts custom roms (differently from factory images) do not provide boot.img in their zips; they assume you already have installed in your device. The lack of the correct boot.img caused your bootloop

nel0

Nov 23, 2015
Yes, that's what "dirty flash" means. It is possible as long as the update doesn't concern an android version. An example is your case: lollipop-->marshmallow.
In facts custom roms (differently from factory images) do not provide boot.img in their zips; they assume you already have installed in your device. The lack of the correct boot.img caused your bootloop

oh, ok, understood. Thanks for the precision :) !