Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 22,914

27,538 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateghost

Yeah. Something fishy here

#stayparanoid

halo was involved in a layer of the os thats very secure, thats why you couldnt install apps while there. maybe its the same here?
19th June 2014, 03:03 AM   |  #23  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 8,268

11,116 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22

halo was involved in a layer of the os thats very secure, thats why you couldnt install apps while there. maybe its the same here?

Maybe. But it just seems weird that a lockscreen replacement would create an overlay for the entire system even when it's not activated.

#stayparanoid
19th June 2014, 06:56 PM   |  #24  
Thanks Meter: 1,544

5,204 posts
More
Quote:

Check this out. . We discovered this in the Paranoid Android Community the other day.

If you have Echo Notifications Lockscreen installed, whether you have it activated or not, it disables installation of apks and the OK button on certain other dialogs. I went nuts trying to figure out what happened...

#stayparanoid

Just tested that out myself and it does in fact cause the issue. Weird.
20th June 2014, 08:08 AM   |  #25  
Flag Asheville, NC
Thanks Meter: 36

340 posts
More
Just coming in to confirm that it is indeed Echo Lockscreen that can cause this issue. Happened on my One X running Paranoid Android 4.4-RC2.
25th June 2014, 08:59 AM   |  #26  
Thanks Meter: 1

2 posts
Echo still allows you to install APKs
Quote:

Check this out. . We discovered this in the Paranoid Android Community the other day.

If you have Echo Notifications Lockscreen installed, whether you have it activated or not, it disables installation of apks and the OK button on certain other dialogs. I went nuts trying to figure out what happened...

#stayparanoid

Echo developer here. You can install APKs by unchecking "use Echo lockscreen" in the settings. After you install the APK, you can turn Echo back on.

Echo hold a overlay in the background to update the UI whenever a notification arrives. This allows us to be much faster than most apps that only update the UI when the lockscreen appears. During the apk install prompt, google checks whether any overlay exists (thus any screen filter app would disable it too), and doesn't allow the user to proceed if there's one exists.

We are working on a more permanent fix for this issue that retains the smoothness. For now, APK installs work fine when you pause Echo in settings.
The Following User Says Thank You to echolocker For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th June 2014, 02:33 PM   |  #27  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 8,268

11,116 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by echolocker

Echo developer here. You can install APKs by unchecking "use Echo lockscreen" in the settings. After you install the APK, you can turn Echo back on.

Echo hold a overlay in the background to update the UI whenever a notification arrives. This allows us to be much faster than most apps that only update the UI when the lockscreen appears. During the apk install prompt, google checks whether any overlay exists (thus any screen filter app would disable it too), and doesn't allow the user to proceed if there's one exists.

We are working on a more permanent fix for this issue that retains the smoothness. For now, APK installs work fine when you pause Echo in settings.

This is not a good solution. Your product is suffering because of this and you have caused quite a lot of problems for a lot of people. Have you clarified this in your play store listing?

#stayparanoid
25th June 2014, 07:54 PM   |  #28  
Thanks Meter: 1

2 posts
Quote:

This is not a good solution. Your product is suffering because of this and you have caused quite a lot of problems for a lot of people. Have you clarified this in your play store listing?

#stayparanoid

Absolutely - We make this very clear in our play store listing.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread