Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,798 Members 39,665 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cant install apks

Tip us?

Pirateghost
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6748

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22 View Post
interesting
Yeah. Something fishy here

#stayparanoid

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateghost View Post
Yeah. Something fishy here

#stayparanoid
halo was involved in a layer of the os thats very secure, thats why you couldnt install apps while there. maybe its the same here?
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!

Pirateghost
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6748

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22 View Post
halo was involved in a layer of the os thats very secure, thats why you couldnt install apps while there. maybe its the same here?
Maybe. But it just seems weird that a lockscreen replacement would create an overlay for the entire system even when it's not activated.

#stayparanoid

jsgraphicart
Old
Thanks Meter 1386
Quote:
Check this out. . We discovered this in the Paranoid Android Community the other day.

If you have Echo Notifications Lockscreen installed, whether you have it activated or not, it disables installation of apks and the OK button on certain other dialogs. I went nuts trying to figure out what happened...

#stayparanoid
Just tested that out myself and it does in fact cause the issue. Weird.

captaincanada84
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Just coming in to confirm that it is indeed Echo Lockscreen that can cause this issue. Happened on my One X running Paranoid Android 4.4-RC2.

Device: AT&T HTC One X
ROM: Paranoid Android 4.4-RC2

echolocker
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Echo still allows you to install APKs

Quote:
Check this out. . We discovered this in the Paranoid Android Community the other day.

If you have Echo Notifications Lockscreen installed, whether you have it activated or not, it disables installation of apks and the OK button on certain other dialogs. I went nuts trying to figure out what happened...

#stayparanoid
Echo developer here. You can install APKs by unchecking "use Echo lockscreen" in the settings. After you install the APK, you can turn Echo back on.

Echo hold a overlay in the background to update the UI whenever a notification arrives. This allows us to be much faster than most apps that only update the UI when the lockscreen appears. During the apk install prompt, google checks whether any overlay exists (thus any screen filter app would disable it too), and doesn't allow the user to proceed if there's one exists.

We are working on a more permanent fix for this issue that retains the smoothness. For now, APK installs work fine when you pause Echo in settings.
The Following User Says Thank You to echolocker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Pirateghost
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6748

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by echolocker View Post
Echo developer here. You can install APKs by unchecking "use Echo lockscreen" in the settings. After you install the APK, you can turn Echo back on.

Echo hold a overlay in the background to update the UI whenever a notification arrives. This allows us to be much faster than most apps that only update the UI when the lockscreen appears. During the apk install prompt, google checks whether any overlay exists (thus any screen filter app would disable it too), and doesn't allow the user to proceed if there's one exists.

We are working on a more permanent fix for this issue that retains the smoothness. For now, APK installs work fine when you pause Echo in settings.
This is not a good solution. Your product is suffering because of this and you have caused quite a lot of problems for a lot of people. Have you clarified this in your play store listing?

#stayparanoid

echolocker
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
This is not a good solution. Your product is suffering because of this and you have caused quite a lot of problems for a lot of people. Have you clarified this in your play store listing?

#stayparanoid
Absolutely - We make this very clear in our play store listing.