Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,106 Members 40,521 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Installing Custom Recovery Twice

Tip us?

mdwills3521
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Installing Custom Recovery Twice

I installed a custom recovery through the WUG method before someone directed me to the GooManager method which seems a lot easier. They both install the same custom recovery (TWRP). In the app it asks if i want to install a custom recovery so does that mean if i install the TWRP again I'll be able to use GooManager for finding roms and nothing will break, can i download the roms from GooManager and just flash it from there using my already installed recovery (without installing the same recovery from GooManager), or should i just go the long way and install through the quickboot method?

Pirateghost
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 7,259

DONATE TO ME
It doesn't matter. Once you have recovery, you have recovery. It's a partition on your device that doesn't care where it comes from.

Sent from my Nexus 5

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwills3521 View Post
I installed a custom recovery through the WUG method before someone directed me to the GooManager method which seems a lot easier. They both install the same custom recovery (TWRP). In the app it asks if i want to install a custom recovery so does that mean if i install the TWRP again I'll be able to use GooManager for finding roms and nothing will break, can i download the roms from GooManager and just flash it from there using my already installed recovery (without installing the same recovery from GooManager), or should i just go the long way and install through the quickboot method?
Like pirateghost said it doesn't matter. But I wouldn't use goomanager to flash roms. Download then from xda and flash them in twrp. Goo manager can be a brick waiting to happen if you're not careful.

mistahseller
Old
Thanks Meter 193
Use xda not goo. This is personal opinion I am leery of it and do not trust it entirely to modify my phone.

Sent from The Deathstar

BirchBarlow
Old
Thanks Meter 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwills3521 View Post
1) Ditch the toolkit, save a kitten. Use fastboot to install a custom recovery.
2) Ditch GooManager, it's too unreliable to use to mod your OS. Download custom ROMs and kernels from XDA.
Current Device

Previous Devices

Samsung Galaxy S4
LG Xenon
Motorola Slvr L7
Motorola T720
Nokia 3360

ElementalX Kernel
The Following User Says Thank You to BirchBarlow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mistahseller
Old
Thanks Meter 193
After viewing threads of what the ROM manager app had done to some people's phone I would follow Birch's advice.