Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,815 Members 40,272 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Installing Nightlies. Wiping cache

Tip us?

augoza
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Default Installing Nightlies. Wiping cache

I'm in the habit of installing Carbon Nightlies. Most of the time its everyday or every other day. I always wipe Delvik cache and Cache before I install. I was wondering if all this cache i delete, is essential for saving data, because I have a data cap. Or do I not know what I'm talking about?

current device..
Nexus 5 PA 4.4.4 ART Franco
previously..
HTC One m7 non-rooted Stock
iPhone 4s jailbroken
HTC Supersonic rooted

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by augoza View Post
I'm in the habit of installing Carbon Nightlies. Most of the time its everyday or every other day. I always wipe Delvik cache and Cache before I install. I was wondering if all this cache i delete, is essential for saving data, because I have a data cap. Or do I not know what I'm talking about?
first off, when you flash a rom it automatically wipes your dalvik and cache, so you wiping it again is pointless. and it has nothing to do with your data cap. your dalvik rebuilds when booting up, hense the android is upgrading. and you fill up the apps cache as you use your apps.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!
The Following User Says Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

augoza
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22 View Post
, when you flash a rom it automatically wipes your dalvik and cache, so you wiping it again is pointless. and it has nothing to do with your data cap. your dalvik rebuilds when booting up, hense the android is upgrading. and you fill up the apps cache as you use your apps.
Thanks. So when I flash the nightly it automatically wipes the cache. Does it wipe cache in apps, for instance, like Chrome browser?

current device..
previously..
iPhone 4s jailbroken
HTC Supersonic rooted

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21,424
Quote:
Thanks. So when I flash the nightly it automatically wipes the cache. Does it wipe cache in apps, for instance, like Chrome browser?
yup, when you flash, the cache is automatically wiped(the app cache is what gets wiped when you manually wipe cache as well).
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
The Following User Says Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

augoza
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22 View Post
yup, when you flash, the cache is automatically wiped(the app cache is what gets wiped when you manually wipe cache as well).
Am I being anal. Because now I have to rebuild the cache i normally built over time by manually going to the websites I frequently visit..Thus using more data. Compared to never flashing again\never wiping cache again. Or is it such a miniscule amount of data that I won't notices the MBs on my bill

current device..
previously..
iPhone 4s jailbroken
HTC Supersonic rooted

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21,424
Quote:
Am I being anal. Because now I have to rebuild the cache i normally built over time by manually going to the websites I frequently visit..Thus using more data. Compared to never flashing again\never wiping cache again. Or is it such a miniscule amount of data that I won't notices the MBs on my bill
it usually is just tiny bit of data, but i understand the being anal part. going to your websites would probably use more data. plus, most of that data in the cache isnt data you download, but data the comes up just from use of the apps.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22