Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

Gmail 5.0: Material Design and Multiple Account Support

Google started to materialize many of its applications right after announcing the … more

Some of Our Favorite Features in Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is the latest major revision to Google’s mobile operating … more

Sony SmartEyeglass SDK Developer Preview Released

A little over a month ago in Tokyo, Japan, Sony unveiled its new SmartEyeglasstechnology. … more

[Q] INSTANT battery drain from 40% to 0% following RMA. Help please

OP RolloJarvis

28th June 2014, 02:45 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 21

128 posts
More
Hi, I recently RMAd my nexus 5 for a sudden death which required a new PCB. I've had it replaced about 2 weeks ago and last night a similar thing happened. I had about 40% battery and it instantly turned off so I feared the problem recurred, however this time I am able to charge it up again and it seems to be working... Is there a fix for this? Could it be a possible miscalibration of the battery since the RMA, or should I sent it back again? See the screen shot for the battery stats. I am running stock 4.4.4 and am not rooted.

battery stats

Cheers
28th June 2014, 03:24 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,259

3,155 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloJarvis

Hi, I recently RMAd my nexus 5 for a sudden death which required a new PCB. I've had it replaced about 2 weeks ago and last night a similar thing happened. I had about 40% battery and it instantly turned off so I feared the problem recurred, however this time I am able to charge it up again and it seems to be working... Is there a fix for this? Could it be a possible miscalibration of the battery since the RMA, or should I sent it back again? See the screen shot for the battery stats. I am running stock 4.4.4 and am not rooted.

battery stats

Cheers

You can try to fully charge it, then delete /data/system/batterstats.bin and reboot.

This is not the problem you posted about, but your phone isn't sleeping very well. Will take a look at a BBS log if you post one. Also, not too sure what's going on with your signal...
28th June 2014, 03:27 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

128 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowinder

You can try to fully charge it, then delete /data/system/batterstats.bin and reboot.

This is not the problem you posted about, but your phone isn't sleeping very well. Will take a look at a BBS log if you post one. Also, not too sure what's going on with your signal...

OK cheers. Can I delete that file without root? Also will post log in a min
28th June 2014, 03:33 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,259

3,155 posts
More
Quote:

OK cheers. Can I delete that file without root? Also will post log in a min

Honestly, I'm not sure. I think not, but you can try.
28th June 2014, 04:12 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

128 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowinder

Honestly, I'm not sure. I think not, but you can try.

OK cool. I'm reluctant to root as I may take it back to the shop and I don't want to unlock the bootloader. I can't post BBS without root either
28th June 2014, 04:44 PM   |  #6  
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 4,064

10,087 posts
More
If your signal is very poor and you're on data....then battery can drop like a rock. And faster the more apps you have that are trying to sync over data.

Just so you know.

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

Also, sometimes things get stuck and suck your battery dry if not caught. Usually a reboot will fix it. If it only happens a couple times....that's what's happening.
28th June 2014, 08:05 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

128 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ

If your signal is very poor and you're on data....then battery can drop like a rock. And faster the more apps you have that are trying to sync over data.

Just so you know.

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

Also, sometimes things get stuck and suck your battery dry if not caught. Usually a reboot will fix it. If it only happens a couple times....that's what's happening.

Mm I understand but surely it couldn't cause it yet drop from 40% to 0% in a matter of seconds. I would have felt it get hot if that was the case
28th June 2014, 08:43 PM   |  #8  
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 4,064

10,087 posts
More
Quote:

Mm I understand but surely it couldn't cause it yet drop from 40% to 0% in a matter of seconds. I would have felt it get hot if that was the case

Calibrate and see how it goes.
28th June 2014, 08:56 PM   |  #9  
Flag 203
Thanks Meter: 1,570

2,653 posts
More
Quote:

OK cool. I'm reluctant to root as I may take it back to the shop and I don't want to unlock the bootloader. I can't post BBS without root either

And why is that? BetterBatteryStats has an option to use root features if you want. In advanced settings. So install it and see how it goes. You're probably going to want to take a look at partial wakelocks to see what's killing your battery.

28th June 2014, 09:11 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

128 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyJ

And why is that? BetterBatteryStats has an option to use root features if you want. In advanced settings. So install it and see how it goes. You're probably going to want to take a look at partial wakelocks to see what's killing your battery.

OK I'll try this

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
battery, drain, nexus 5, rma, sudden death
Previous Thread Next Thread