Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,147 Members 48,506 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] INSTANT battery drain from 40% to 0% following RMA. Help please

Tip us?
 
RolloJarvis
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Posts: 128
Join Date: Feb 2011
Battery Full [Q] INSTANT battery drain from 40% to 0% following RMA. Help please

Hi, I recently RMAd my nexus 5 for a sudden death which required a new PCB. I've had it replaced about 2 weeks ago and last night a similar thing happened. I had about 40% battery and it instantly turned off so I feared the problem recurred, however this time I am able to charge it up again and it seems to be working... Is there a fix for this? Could it be a possible miscalibration of the battery since the RMA, or should I sent it back again? See the screen shot for the battery stats. I am running stock 4.4.4 and am not rooted.

battery stats

Cheers
 
Aerowinder
Old
#2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,229
Posts: 3,104
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloJarvis View Post
Hi, I recently RMAd my nexus 5 for a sudden death which required a new PCB. I've had it replaced about 2 weeks ago and last night a similar thing happened. I had about 40% battery and it instantly turned off so I feared the problem recurred, however this time I am able to charge it up again and it seems to be working... Is there a fix for this? Could it be a possible miscalibration of the battery since the RMA, or should I sent it back again? See the screen shot for the battery stats. I am running stock 4.4.4 and am not rooted.

battery stats

Cheers
You can try to fully charge it, then delete /data/system/batterstats.bin and reboot.

This is not the problem you posted about, but your phone isn't sleeping very well. Will take a look at a BBS log if you post one. Also, not too sure what's going on with your signal...
 

Google Firmware: Google
USB Drivers: Google | Mirror
ADB+ADB Drivers: 19.0.2 (4.4.4) + Koush Universal ADB Drivers

TWRP Official: hammerhead | flo
TWRP Holofied: hammerhead | flo

Gapps: jajb

Superuser: Chainfire | Mirror
 
RolloJarvis
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Posts: 128
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowinder View Post
You can try to fully charge it, then delete /data/system/batterstats.bin and reboot.

This is not the problem you posted about, but your phone isn't sleeping very well. Will take a look at a BBS log if you post one. Also, not too sure what's going on with your signal...
OK cheers. Can I delete that file without root? Also will post log in a min
 
Aerowinder
Old
#4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,229
Posts: 3,104
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloJarvis View Post
OK cheers. Can I delete that file without root? Also will post log in a min
Honestly, I'm not sure. I think not, but you can try.
 

Google Firmware: Google
USB Drivers: Google | Mirror
ADB+ADB Drivers: 19.0.2 (4.4.4) + Koush Universal ADB Drivers

TWRP Official: hammerhead | flo
TWRP Holofied: hammerhead | flo

Gapps: jajb

Superuser: Chainfire | Mirror
 
RolloJarvis
Old
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Posts: 128
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowinder View Post
Honestly, I'm not sure. I think not, but you can try.
OK cool. I'm reluctant to root as I may take it back to the shop and I don't want to unlock the bootloader. I can't post BBS without root either
 
KJ
Old
#6  
KJ's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,519
Posts: 8,464
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The boonies - southwest Ontario
If your signal is very poor and you're on data....then battery can drop like a rock. And faster the more apps you have that are trying to sync over data.

Just so you know.

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

Also, sometimes things get stuck and suck your battery dry if not caught. Usually a reboot will fix it. If it only happens a couple times....that's what's happening.
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life? Any device welcome, even tho its an N5 thread. Please specify if on a device other than N5. Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

 
RolloJarvis
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Posts: 128
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
If your signal is very poor and you're on data....then battery can drop like a rock. And faster the more apps you have that are trying to sync over data.

Just so you know.

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

Also, sometimes things get stuck and suck your battery dry if not caught. Usually a reboot will fix it. If it only happens a couple times....that's what's happening.
Mm I understand but surely it couldn't cause it yet drop from 40% to 0% in a matter of seconds. I would have felt it get hot if that was the case
 
KJ
Old
#8  
KJ's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,519
Posts: 8,464
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The boonies - southwest Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloJarvis View Post
Mm I understand but surely it couldn't cause it yet drop from 40% to 0% in a matter of seconds. I would have felt it get hot if that was the case
Calibrate and see how it goes.
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life? Any device welcome, even tho its an N5 thread. Please specify if on a device other than N5. Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

 
RoyJ
Old
#9  
RoyJ's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,467
Posts: 2,551
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloJarvis View Post
OK cool. I'm reluctant to root as I may take it back to the shop and I don't want to unlock the bootloader. I can't post BBS without root either
And why is that? BetterBatteryStats has an option to use root features if you want. In advanced settings. So install it and see how it goes. You're probably going to want to take a look at partial wakelocks to see what's killing your battery.

*Click for device info
 

ROM: All of them at least once
KERNEL: Bricked Stable
RECOVERY: TWRP 2.3.6.4
Other Devices: Galaxy Nexus
 
RolloJarvis
Old
#10  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Posts: 128
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyJ View Post
And why is that? BetterBatteryStats has an option to use root features if you want. In advanced settings. So install it and see how it goes. You're probably going to want to take a look at partial wakelocks to see what's killing your battery.

OK I'll try this

Tags
battery, drain, nexus 5, rma, sudden death
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes