I'm one of those fortunate to be grandfathered in to VZW's unlimited data and I do not want to lose that. What my family has done in the past is the following:
- Purchase a new smartphone at the 2 yr activation price
- Take my grandmother's basic phone account and upgrade it to a smartphone plan
- Activate the newly purchased smartphone under my grandmother's account
- Switch the phone over to my account
- Re-add my grandmother's basic phone and downgrade the account to basic
This allowed us to keep our unlimited data on the 4 smartphone lines that we have by using my grandmother's basic phone line.
Now the question I was wondering is if I would have to continue doing this process on an unlocked phone such as the Nexus 5?
Please let me know if you need any other information.