XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Kiosk mode instead of immersive mode on N5

Tip us?

eco_bach
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Kiosk mode instead of immersive mode on N5

Building an app that requires full kiosk mode on a nexus 5. No access to or notifications from other applications, as well as hiding any system nag, tool bars.

I know kitkat now supports 'immersive mode' , but this isn't sufficient since the user still has access to other apps and the system menus.

Does anyone know of any application or system 'hack' that will allow kiosk mode on a Nexus5 device?

prsterero
Old
Thanks Meter 582
If you had no access to system bars then you would have no way of exiting the app.

prshosting.org

Darkendvoid88
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by prsterero View Post
If you had no access to system bars then you would have no way of exiting the app.

prshosting.org
I think that is the point of having a "kiosk" device. One where its accessible to the public and they cant do anything but use the app that's opened. Much like the PC's at BestBuy / other retailers where they have the adverts / "check out these cool features" demo programs that you cant close out of.

You might be able to pull off something like that with a custom launcher but I don''t think there is way for a standard application to do that.
Nokia 5110(AT&T Prepaid) -> Nokia 3330(AT&T Prepaid) -> Kyocera 2119b "Party Animal"(Virgin Mobile) -> Sony Ericsson T616(AT&T) -> Motoroloa RAZR(AT&T) -> Sony Ericsson W580(AT&T) -> Motorola Q9h(AT&T) -> Motorola Bravo(AT&T) -> Samsung Captivate Glide(AT&T) -> Samsung Note II(Sprint 3rd Party Plan) -> HTC One(Sprint 3rd Party Plan) -> LG Nexus 5(Sprint 3rd Party Plan)

eco_bach
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
yes it IS possible
The only thing I haven't been able to do is hide the top icon bar with the wifi, battery level , clock icons viewable on a swipe down from top

dzotx
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Xposed mods

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 176
People have been modding away the Nav par all together and switching to pie controls etc. It's certainly possible.
W32

eco_bach
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblzd View Post
People have been modding away the Nav par all together and switching to pie controls etc. It's certainly possible.
Have you been able to remove the status bar? (My only remaining hurdle)

DanGarthwaite
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Did you ever resolve hiding the status/notification bar?