Enable Call Recording on Xperia Z2 and Z3

Call recording, while not legal in every part of the world, is quite handy in certain situations. … more

Google Play Store Payments Available in China

Google has taken a big step to make its services accessible globally. Since the introduction of … more

How to Set a Video as Your Boot Animation

If you wish to make your phone truly unique, you may want to consider adding a nice boot animation. … more

TWRP for Nexus 6 and 9 Available, Unofficial CM12 Alpha for HTC Explorer! – XDA TV

Team Win Recovery Project for the Nexus 6 and Nexus … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Has lack of 3rd party "official roms" changed much?

OP Snow_fox

9th July 2014, 09:10 PM   |  #11  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 70

712 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethargy

Google Play Edition devices aren't the same as Nexus devices, they just use a more "AOSP-like" ROM that doesn't have the respective OEM skin on top of it. Not sure if bootloader unlocking process is different (Nexus devices have fastboot oem unlock) but the stock ROM on them still has some parts of the OEM framework underneath (like double tap to wake and duo camera editing on HTC One M8). The Nexus 5 is more popular then Google Play Edition devices and which is why it subsequently has more developer support.

This makes sense. I didn't know if the Play Edition devices still had OEM fragments or if they were as free as the Nexus series.
9th July 2014, 09:17 PM   |  #12  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,317

24,411 posts
More
Heavy oem frameworks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
9th July 2014, 10:24 PM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 202

987 posts
More
To be fair, there was a pretty significant gap between 4.2 releasing on the Nexus 4 and Cyanogenmod releasing 10.2 stable. As mentioned though, many of the ROMs have released stable versions and those that haven't are still fairly stable despite not having an "official" stable release.

I will say that I'm less likely to stick with a ROM despite bugs on Nexus devices than on other devices for two main reasons. With other devices, you're often getting rid of a manufacturer skin (so it's a completely different interface, instead of just having some tweaks) or you're moving up an Android version early.
9th July 2014, 10:31 PM   |  #14  

24,411 posts
More
Its worth pointing out that some devs only call their last ever release "stable" when they absolutely won't add or change anything again.

I think it's too easy to get wrapped up in the terminology and not appreciate the development we have

What a stable release means to 1 dev, means something else to another.

Last edited by rootSU; 9th July 2014 at 10:33 PM.
9th July 2014, 10:36 PM   |  #15  
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 22,383

26,712 posts
nearly every single ROM that I've ever used that has been titled "stable", has been less stable then the regular builds. especially with cm. a real ROM is neither called " stable" nor "experimental", its just called by its name and released. people add the word "stable" to them just to trick a few into a few more downloads.
10th July 2014, 05:25 AM   |  #16  
Flag South Jersey
Thanks Meter: 71

174 posts
More
There number of quotation marks in here is too damn high.
10th July 2014, 07:50 AM   |  #17  

24,411 posts
More
For good reason...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread