Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,404 Members 48,287 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Will Google update the kernel on Nexus 5 to 3.14?
Yes, I think Google will release kernel 3.14 to N5 4 80.00%
No, kernel 3.14 will be for newer Nexus devices 0 0%
We will probably get an unofficial port 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

[Q]Will we get Linux Kernel 3.14 on the N5, when it comes out?

Tip us?

granets
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 176
Default [Q]Will we get Linux Kernel 3.14 on the N5, when it comes out?

So the title basically says it all. I've read that the google team is working hard on getting the 3.14 kernel to android, possibly with Android 5.0. My question is, if anyone has any idea if we'll get the latest kernel with the android update, or the kernel will be just for newer devices, like the nexus 6? I used to have a Nexus S, but I don't remember if it ever got a kernel update, when they rolled up a major android update. So any ideas guys?
Current phone: LG Nexus 5 franco r6x, SlimKat Weekly ROM | Old: Samsung Nexus S 9020T | Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 /sold/
Calibration Charts for color profiles, found in franco's kernel

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,417
Since none of us can see into the future, anything anyone says will be a pure guess.
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

granets
Old
(Last edited by granets; 25th March 2014 at 11:59 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
Since none of us can see into the future, anything anyone says will be a pure guess.
All I can expect is a well educated guess based on past experience. I know that no one knows for sure, but if google did something like this before they are likely to do it again. It's just that I skipped over some generations of nexus devices and I don't know if google updates the kernel as it comes out, or do you get to keep only what you got when you've bought the phone?
btw, hi rootSU, haven't seen you in a while
Current phone: LG Nexus 5 franco r6x, SlimKat Weekly ROM | Old: Samsung Nexus S 9020T | Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 /sold/

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by granets View Post
All I can expect is a well educated guess on past experience. I know that no one knows for sure, but if google did something like this before they are likely to do it again. It's just that I skipped over some generations of nexus devices and I don't know if google updates the kernel as it comes out, or do you get to keep only what you got when you've bought the phone?
I'm guessing they won't. Not every kernel release has something in it that we need. Generally we wouldn't need to re-base the kernel for standard use.

Then again, this is my first nexus.

Edit > Yes left the S3 in November
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

granets
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
I'm guessing they won't. Not every kernel release has something in it that we need. Generally we wouldn't need to re-base the kernel for standard use.

Then again, this is my first nexus.

Edit > Yes left the S3 in November
Yeah I've seen you post in a couple of S3 threads, I'd say very often Nexus devices are far superior to other phones(IMHO), I hope you like your N5. I got my S3 as a gift, hated that device, glad I managed to sell it and get a N5.
The Following User Says Thank You to granets For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,417
Yeah it's great. I've never had a Nexus but the HTC Desire I used to have was closely related to the Nexus One. I'll never go Samsung again.....and if I were to, it would definitely need to be Qualcomm based.