XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What will I lose if I root?

Tip us?

maxell505
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Phone [Q] What will I lose if I root?

Ok so I am thinking about rooting my Nexus 5 right now and I will install xposed framework after I root. I have not gotten the 4.4.1 update yet for my Nexus 5 so if I root right now, will I still get the update over the air. I am not installing a custom ROM. I just want to install xposed framework and that is all. So will I still get OTA updates from Google if I do that.

handsomejesus
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Nothing?

CRIME INC.
Old
Thanks Meter 1673
Well for starters your phone will be wiped clean when you unlock the bootloader. So if u decide to root, backup what you want to save. Second, as long as you keep stock recovery, stock kernel etc... You should be able to take the ota update. Although after taking it you'll need to reroot. It may be easier just to root, and flash the stock rooted rom

sent from my HAMMERHEAD neXus

F.B.8.
Old
Thanks Meter 5
maybe the warranty? but I think that you can restore it by re-locking the phone

shotta35
Old
Thanks Meter 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxell505 View Post
Ok so I am thinking about rooting my Nexus 5 right now and I will install xposed framework after I root. I have not gotten the 4.4.1 update yet for my Nexus 5 so if I root right now, will I still get the update over the air. I am not installing a custom ROM. I just want to install xposed framework and that is all. So will I still get OTA updates from Google if I do that.
You will lose all the data on your phone. As soon as you unlock the bootloader the phone wipes all the data.

You can't modify anything in system and get updates (well you'll get them, they just wont install). You will have to go back to stock before you can install updates from google.

maxell505
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRIME INC. View Post
Well for starters your phone will be wiped clean when you unlock the bootloader. So if u decide to root, backup what you want to save. Second, as long as you keep stock recovery, stock kernel etc... You should be able to take the ota update. Although after taking it you'll need to reroot. It may be easier just to root, and flash the stock rooted rom

Are stock rooted ROMS easily available for the Nexus 5? Also lets say I root and install xposed framework right now. Later on I want the 4.4.1 stock rom on my phone. When I flash the 4.4.1 stock ROM on my phone, will I still have xposed framework?

CRIME INC.
Old
Thanks Meter 1673
Yes they're pretty much the first ROMs available after an update is released. And no,you'll have to reinstall xposed framework. But its easy to do