Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,937 Members 43,514 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Lost Root and Recovery with OTA

Tip us?

snappycg1996
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Default Lost Root and Recovery with OTA

I just got the OTA update yesterday to 4.4.4 KitKat. I downloaded the "L" developer preview and was going to flash it on my phone. I rebooted into recovery only to find a droid with a red exclamation mark on it's head. I went into Titanium Backup and it said I didn't have root access.

I tried going onto GooManager and installing a recovery, and TWRP, all failed. I guess I'm going to have to use the CF-Auto Root kit again, but I have one question.

Is there any way to tell if my bootloader is still unlocked? Or will doing this wipe my entire phone out? I have a lot of stuff on here I cannot afford to lose, but also don't want to transfer nearly 30 gigs of stuff to a hard drive. D;

If it matters, when I turn my phone on, it shows a "lock key" and it's "unlocked". I cannot remember that ever being there until after I rooted and stuff when I got the phone. Does this mean my bootloader is still unlocked? Or will I need to unlock everything again.

I learned my lesson. Never again doing OTA update.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10,771
OTA removes root and flashes stock recovery. It does not relock your bootloader. The padlock signifies unlocked.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

snappycg1996
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Ugh, thank you rootSU! ^.^ I'll use the Auto-Root tool and re-root the darn thing lol

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappycg1996 View Post
Ugh, thank you rootSU! ^.^ I'll use the Auto-Root tool and re-root the darn thing lol
No. Fastboot flash recovery then root from recovery.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21,188
i guess you arent one for searching, as this has literally been answered hundreds of thousands of times.

you WILL lose root by updating an official rom, be it via ota or manual. the stock rom is NOT rooted, you can not assume that your root will carry over. it will also replace your custom recovery with the stock recovery. this has been known since the very first android update in 2008. do yourself a favor, search, read, educate yourself.

what you need to do is flash a custom recovery via fastboot, then flash the latest supersu in your newly flashed recovery. then reboot, thats it.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!
The Following User Says Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Woody
Old
Moderator & RC/RT Committees - Particle Physics Gives me a Hadron
Thanks Meter 8,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappycg1996 View Post
I just got the OTA update yesterday to 4.4.4 KitKat. I downloaded the "L" developer preview and was going to flash it on my phone.

<Snip>

I have a lot of stuff on here I cannot afford to lose, but also don't want to transfer nearly 30 gigs of stuff to a hard drive. D;

<Snip>

I learned my lesson. Never again doing OTA update.

I am just curious why you are flashing a Developer Preview that has not been tested, no threads as of right now from anyone who has flashed it and above all without backing up your stuff? We haven't broken down the preview yet to see what is in there, so if I, and this is just me here, were going to flash something that had high potential for "problems", I would back up or at the very least send all the important things up to the cloud.

OTA was not the problem/lesson to be learned here. I would suggest you read some of the inevitable threads that will pop up with all the answers that you are looking for.
<a href=http://www.whiskey103.nl/x/sigs/Woody6_15fps.gif target=_blank rel=nofollow >http://www.whiskey103.nl/x/sigs/Woody6_15fps.gif</a>
ZFFZ

I GPL I

"The work of men of genius, however wrongly directed, hardly ever fails to open the eyes of men to new possibilities."
- Dr. Victor Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Woody For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]