Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,721 Members 51,787 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

lost root after updating to 4.4.4

Tip us?
 
rootSU
Old
#21  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 10058
Posts: 21,185
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodohjk View Post
I am using Ubuntu 12.04.
I previously unlocked the nexus 5 using CF-Auto-Root, and after the update to 4.4.4 i need to root it again.
in the fastboot mode states “LOCK STATE - unlocked”

the command is

Code:
Select Code
fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-hammerhead.img
< waiting for device >
but other fastboot commands like fastboot reboot-bootloader do not work either

i have changed /etc/udev/rules.d/99-android.rules to

# Google Nexus 7 16 Gb
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4e42", MODE="0666", OWNER="dodohjk" # MTP mode with USB debug on
I dont have any udev rules on my ubuntu box... Have you tried removing them temporarily?
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!



Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
 
dodohjk
Old
#22  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 8
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
I dont have any udev rules on my ubuntu box... Have you tried removing them temporarily?
I have just tried after your suggetion but no, seems like my phone does not respond to fastboot comands..
it does respond however to adb commands
 
rootSU
Old
#23  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 10058
Posts: 21,185
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodohjk View Post
I have just tried after your suggetion but no, seems like my phone does not respond to fastboot comands..
it does respond however to adb commands
Maybe a problem with your Bootloader. Have you tried the second (backup) bootloader?


Main bootloader: Vol down + Power
Backup bootloader: Vol up + Vol Down + Power
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!



Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
 
dodohjk
Old
#24  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 8
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
Maybe a problem with your Bootloader. Have you tried the second (backup) bootloader?


Main bootloader: Vol down + Power
Backup bootloader: Vol up + Vol Down + Power
same problem

never knew thier was a backup bootloader. It is similar apart that main bootloader is version HHZ11k, and backup one is HHZ10x

could it be i am missing some drivers?
i have used
Code:
Select Code
sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot
, was that the right thing?
 
rootSU
Old
#25  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 10058
Posts: 21,185
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodohjk View Post
same problem

never knew thier was a backup bootloader. It is similar apart that main bootloader is version HHZ11k, and backup one is HHZ10x

could it be i am missing some drivers?
i have used
Code:
Select Code
sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot
, was that the right thing?
Were not like windows users. It either connects or it doesn't

Tried other cables? Usb ports?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!



Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
 
dodohjk
Old
(Last edited by dodohjk; 5th July 2014 at 04:23 PM.)
#26  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 8
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
Were not like windows users. It either connects or it doesn't

Tried other cables? Usb ports?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
tried with a diifferent cable (amazon's kindle one!) and different port. Still stuck.

this is my terminals commands for reference
Code:
Select Code
dodohjk@dodoLaptop:~/Descargas$ adb reboot bootloader
dodohjk@dodoLaptop:~/Descargas$ fastboot devices
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx	fastboot
dodohjk@dodoLaptop:~/Descargas$ fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

i have discovered how to access the stock recovery. Can that help me somehow?
 
Sharpie24l
Old
#27  
Member
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 40
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Gainesville, FL

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodohjk View Post
tried with a diifferent cable (amazon's kindle one!) and different port. Still stuck.

this is my terminals commands for reference
Code:
Select Code
dodohjk@dodoLaptop:~/Descargas$ adb reboot bootloader
dodohjk@dodoLaptop:~/Descargas$ fastboot devices
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxfastboot
dodohjk@dodoLaptop:~/Descargas$ fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

i have discovered how to access the stock recovery. Can that help me somehow?
The first time I unlocked my nexus and custom recovery'd it I had the same issue. And even though it shouldn't have fixed it I
rebooted my phone and my laptop.
Let both boot back up.
Plugged in the phone with factory cord.
Sudo Adb kill-server
Sudo adb start-server
Adb devices
Adb Reboot fastboot

And it worked device showed up fine but would hang every time at the same spot until I sudo (I'm on Linux mint yours may not be sudo I'm not sure just terminal super user) kill- server and sudo start-server. If I didn't sudo them both it wouldn't work. And for some reason I had to do that then reboot into fastboot. If I started in fast boot it would hang just like if I wasn't root accessed. Don't know why it was finicky like that but after the first time I did it its acted normal.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
 
dodohjk
Old
#28  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 8
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie24l View Post
The first time I unlocked my nexus and custom recovery'd it I had the same issue. And even though it shouldn't have fixed it I
rebooted my phone and my laptop.
Let both boot back up.
Plugged in the phone with factory cord.
Sudo Adb kill-server
Sudo adb start-server
Adb devices
Adb Reboot fastboot

And it worked device showed up fine but would hang every time at the same spot until I sudo (I'm on Linux mint yours may not be sudo I'm not sure just terminal super user) kill- server and sudo start-server. If I didn't sudo them both it wouldn't work. And for some reason I had to do that then reboot into fastboot. If I started in fast boot it would hang just like if I wasn't root accessed. Don't know why it was finicky like that but after the first time I did it its acted normal.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
sudo is the super user in ubuntu terminal as well

i tried the steps untill adb reboot fastboot. Is this command ment to reboot you in the fastboot mode? because it restarts my device in the android OS.

however i then tried to flashboot the twrp recovery while in flashboot mode but nothing
 
Sharpie24l
Old
#29  
Member
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 40
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Gainesville, FL

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodohjk View Post
sudo is the super user in ubuntu terminal as well

i tried the steps untill adb reboot fastboot. Is this command ment to reboot you in the fastboot mode? because it restarts my device in the android OS.

however i then tried to flashboot the twrp recovery while in flashboot mode but nothing
I'm sorry man I meant reboot into the boot loader lol its noon here and I haven't slept yet. Had an awesome fourth of July and dreading the hangover when I get up lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
 
rootSU
Old
#30  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 10058
Posts: 21,185
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodohjk View Post
sudo is the super user in ubuntu terminal as well

i tried the steps untill adb reboot fastboot. Is this command ment to reboot you in the fastboot mode? because it restarts my device in the android OS.

however i then tried to flashboot the twrp recovery while in flashboot mode but nothing
You're going to have to work out whether it's your phone, your computer hardware or software.

I would recommend firstly trying to run ubuntu in a live cd within a VMware player VM. See if that makes a difference. If not try another computer all together (preferably a windows one).

If both fail it is your phone. We just dont know right now.

"adb reboot bootloader" reboots into fastboot, which is the bootloader.
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!



Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Play Your Hits and Learn the Lyrics with NextGen Music Player

There are plenty of music players for Android available in Play Store. They … more

Control Your Toast Notifications with SlicedToasts

Toasts are delicious, even in their Android flavor. In Android, toast doesn’t lead … more

Rotation Lets You Take Full Control of Your Device’s Orientation Settings

To be brutally honest, the native options for screen … more

Change the Alarm Icon in the Status Bar with Xposed

It’s hard to find a more hated object than your alarm clock. They wake us up nearly … more