Android 5.0 Lollipop in 3D–EVO 3D, That Is!

It is that time of the year once again. Flowers bloom (or snow falls, depending on which … more

Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Lower cellular signal on n5 than on my g2

OP spinninbsod

6th May 2014, 12:01 PM   |  #1  
spinninbsod's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag new york city
Thanks Meter: 81
 
640 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
I found this very interesting i usually get one bar at my house with nexus 5 and i consistently get 3 with the g2 still love my nexus 5 but just kind of strange

sent from my lg g2
6th May 2014, 12:08 PM   |  #2  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,473
 
24,582 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
The bars are nothing to go by really. You would need to compare db or asu in Settings > About phone > Status
6th May 2014, 12:31 PM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 43
 
367 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2007
Always been the same for me, worse signal reception on the N5 compared to my Motorola Razr i or Moto G....

N5 on the left and Moto Razr i on the right.

Both phones have new O2 sim cards inserted.













The N5 has been tested by the engineers at LG (nearly four weeks away for this testing / repairs). Nothing really to note on the engineers report.

I sent lots of photos with the phone and talked in detail with the people at LG over the relatively poor signal with the phone when using O2, 3 or Vodafone on the N5 compared to other phones that I have and what I would expect.

As good as the phone is it has been a let down for me with the strength of its signal capability. I have tried the different radio versions with no real difference.

There are times when it is really good but I just know there are plenty of other times when it is very poor compared to the other phones noted.
7th May 2014, 01:28 AM   |  #4  
Darth's Avatar
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 4,676
 
12,432 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vimesUK

Always been the same for me, worse signal reception on the N5 compared to my Motorola Razr i or Moto G....

N5 on the left and Moto Razr i on the right.

Both phones have new O2 sim cards inserted.













The N5 has been tested by the engineers at LG (nearly four weeks away for this testing / repairs). Nothing really to note on the engineers report.

I sent lots of photos with the phone and talked in detail with the people at LG over the relatively poor signal with the phone when using O2, 3 or Vodafone on the N5 compared to other phones that I have and what I would expect.

As good as the phone is it has been a let down for me with the strength of its signal capability. I have tried the different radio versions with no real difference.

There are times when it is really good but I just know there are plenty of other times when it is very poor compared to the other phones noted.

Motorola has been making cell phones longer than anyone....and radios.

Don't compare any phones radio to most Motorola's anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to Darth For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th May 2014, 02:16 AM   |  #5  
dmillerzx's Avatar
Senior Member
Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 115
 
179 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2010
More
It's safe to say the radios, or something in 4.4 have issues on the Nexus 5 regarding radio performance and reception. I can't say my signal is ever superb (t-mo MD); however I have often notice data stalls. Perhaps these are related issues?

I've started using Connection Stabilizer to resolve the data stall issues, if you check the logs you will likely see it working. I highly recommend.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bilizerbooster
7th May 2014, 03:14 AM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 43
 
367 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112

Motorola has been making cell phones longer than anyone....and radios.

Don't compare any phones radio to most Motorola's anyway.

You might have a point. It is just frustrating coming from a phone(s) which has virtually zero signal issues to one which is relatively bugged by them. Sometimes if I see no signal, when it has been in my pocket for a while, toggling it into airplane mode and then off again will restore it.

I am, overall, most impressed with the N5, it is just its ability to maintain a good and strong signal over that of what I have been used to which is most frustrating. I did not realise how bad it was until I went back to the Razr when the N5 was with LG for inspection / repairs for nearly a month.
7th May 2014, 08:38 AM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 43
 
367 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2007
Just to add that when I was using the Moto G it had an issue too with low or no signal after it had been in standby. Thankfully they fixed that one with the update...

Quote:

The update is version number 174.44.1 and it has been reported to be pushing out to US and UK models of the Moto G, but should be rolling out to the rest of the globe soon enough. On the change log is a fix for a bug that had been causing cell signal loss for users, a fix for low call volume, a wallpaper cropping issue, and a trouble with USB on the Go.

7th May 2014, 09:13 AM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 328
 
1,283 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
More
I been complaining here for this on a very long long time
I even got banned 2 Times for complaining too much.
7th May 2014, 01:53 PM   |  #9  
Darth's Avatar
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 4,676
 
12,432 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdapimp

I been complaining here for this on a very long long time
I even got banned 2 Times for complaining too much.

Why not just sell it then??
7th May 2014, 06:51 PM   |  #10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 328
 
1,283 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112

Why not just sell it then??

I sold 1 of them the other Nexus 5 is sitting as a dev/experiment phone

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes