Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,037 Members 52,406 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

LTE band by flashing radio baseband?

Tip us?

lkthomas
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default LTE band by flashing radio baseband?

Guys, I am new to LTE, my Nexus 5 was bought in US and local carrier claim it doesn't support LTE for local use, may I know if band selection is locked by baseband or hardware itself?
Thomas Graham

az93civic
Old
Thanks Meter 104

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkthomas View Post
Guys, I am new to LTE, my Nexus 5 was bought in US and local carrier claim it doesn't support LTE for local use, may I know if band selection is locked by baseband or hardware itself?
It is the hardware

Please don't forget to press Thanks if I helped you out.

jzsax1
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by az93civic View Post
It is the hardware
I have flashed the radio band on the US LG-820 model from the LG-821 model and i am yet to grab LTE here in Germany... not sure but i will travel soon to the bigger cities and see... LTE is not available everywhere... but we will see...

az93civic
Old
Thanks Meter 104

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzsax1 View Post
I have flashed the radio band on the US LG-820 model from the LG-821 model and i am yet to grab LTE here in Germany... not sure but i will travel soon to the bigger cities and see... LTE is not available everywhere... but we will see...
Its the Hardware, flashing the radio is not going to change what bands the radio picks up. Sorry bud

Please don't forget to press Thanks if I helped you out.

jzsax1
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Its the Hardware, flashing the radio is not going to change what bands the radio picks up. Sorry bud
you can buy an LTE phone in Germany and use it everywhere else but in the US... i hate what the US companies are doing...

BackMoto
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default not true

Quote:
I know this is quite late reply... but your statement is not true. The hardware is exactly the same.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2514095

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10728
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackMoto View Post
I know this is quite late reply... but your statement is not true. The hardware is exactly the same.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2514095
No, the statement IS true. The physical hardware radios are different. The software modems you can flash are the same. These software modems do NOT change the hardware and cannot change the bands the physical hardware is limited to.

The physical radio hardware is the only difference between the d820 and d821. If it was the same hardware, there would only be one model nexus 5

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BackMoto
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
No, the statement IS true. The physical hardware radios are different. The software modems you can flash are the same. These software modems do NOT change the hardware and cannot change the bands the physical hardware is limited to.

The physical radio hardware is the only difference between the d820 and d821. If it was the same hardware, there would only be one model nexus 5

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
so you mean that the developer is joking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoprime View Post
Fun fact: The D820/D821 KRT16M modems have matching md5 sums. They are the same modem.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10728
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackMoto View Post
so you mean that the developer is joking?
No, I mean you don't understand what you're reading. He is referring to the software modem. You cannot run an md5sum on hardware ha ha.

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BackMoto
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
No, I mean you don't understand what you're reading. He is referring to the software modem. You cannot run an md5sum on hardware ha ha.

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

If the software drivers are the same (e.g. matching md5) then it is reasonable to assume that the bands are only locked, why make two chips when you can have one? Moving to the point you can use LTE in europe and vv in USA amusing your provider runs on the band that is unlocked and one properly flashes the modem.