FORUMS

T-Mobile Galaxy S6 Battery Woes

I’ve been using a T-Mobile Galaxy S6 since the device launched with T-mobile’s … more

Earthquake Early Warning in Your Pocket

Probably all of us reading this have a smartphone in our pocket. For many of us, the … more

Sony: The OEM You Want To Save

In our recent Discuss article, we asked you readers on which OEM you would like to help. While the … more

How to Lock and Protect Your Apps – XDA Xposed Tuesday

The smartphone revolution has passed. Everybody has mobile apps. Some of … more

Lte and battery power

274 posts
Thanks Meter: 89

By ckavvouras, Senior Member on 6th March 2014, 08:27 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I'm curious about switching from lte to 3g, will i really save any battery? Or do I need to install a custom modem?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

6th March 2014, 08:36 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 24,714

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckavvouras

I'm curious about switching from lte to 3g, will i really save any battery? Or do I need to install a custom modem?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

i get my best battery life on lte. i had the n4, it doesnt officially come with lte, but can be enabled. anyways, as soon as i started using lte on my n4, i gained an hour of screen on time as opposed to using 3G(hspa+). i want from 4 hours screen on time, to 5 hours. and on my nexus 5, i use lte exclusively, i dont even ever use wifi, and i see 5-6 hours screen on time every day. then again, it would depend on your signal quality.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th March 2014, 08:54 PM |#3  
Barcelona
Thanks Meter: 226

More
In my house I have 4/4 bars signal with H and 2/4 bars with LTE.

In that case LTE is still the best option?

Sent from my Nexus 5
6th March 2014, 08:57 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesebastian

In my house I have 4/4 bars signal with H and 2/4 bars with LTE.

In that case LTE is still the best option?

Sent from my Nexus 5

it can be. generally, when using data, lte is more efficient. it spends less time downloading/uploading, therefor uses less battery. if data speeds are better using lte than they are with your 3g, then lte would be better to use.
The Following User Says Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th March 2014, 09:34 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
I have more battery drain on lte... I think 3g is faster enough
7th March 2014, 05:35 AM |#6  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 448

More
The fastest connection with the best signal should save you the most battery.

Wifi is much shorter range so needs less power to maintain a connection. Considering most people have fast Wifi it will usually be the most efficient.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
9th March 2014, 06:33 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
I had the best battery on LTE when I went to London for a few days. Gained a hour screen on time easily with very strong coverage throughout most of central London apart from the underground obviously lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
9th March 2014, 06:46 PM |#8  
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!

More
i did an experiment on lte/3G battery life in the trinity thread a few days ago, same usage and setup. on lte i had 5.5h sot, on 3G(h/h+) i had 4.5h sot. using lte gains me an hour sot, using 3G i lose an hour sot.
9th March 2014, 11:26 PM |#9  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 448

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22

i did an experiment on lte/3G battery life in the trinity thread a few days ago, same usage and setup. on lte i had 5.5h sot, on 3G(h/h+) i had 4.5h sot. using lte gains me an hour sot, using 3G i lose an hour sot.

When using a 3G connection does it constantly jump between 3G and H+ for you also? Seems to be based on load and I'm assuming normal operation.

I need to keep testing this but lately I am finding 3G/H+ (7-15Mbps) connection to be similar in battery use to my older wireless G (15Mbps) network.

10th March 2014, 12:09 AM |#10  
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblzd

When using a 3G connection does it constantly jump between 3G and H+ for you also? Seems to be based on load and I'm assuming normal operation.

I need to keep testing this but lately I am finding 3G/H+ (7-15Mbps) connection to be similar in battery use to my older wireless G (15Mbps) network.

for me it jumps from h to h+ when i access data, but thats how its supposed to work. the 3G/H will be used when not needing to access data, H+ will be used when accessing data, unless H+ isnt available. besides that, it doesnt jump back and forth at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread