LTE broken on used device

OP randomblame

10th August 2014, 02:30 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 15,702

2,321 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hey guys I had a crazy clumsy spell in which both of my nexus 4's fell to the concrete a few days apart and shattered so I replaced them with nexus 5's one 16gb red from the play store for the wife and one black 32 used from ebay. Guess which one doesn't work right - yeah the ebay one. I put them back to back installed 4.4.4 stock and set up the apns for straight talk. The ebay phone has NO LTE at all. The red one with identical software and the same apn settings has perfect lte. I figured it had to be my sim card so I switched cards and the red nexus 5 still gets lte but the black ebay one does not. So it's hardware right? Can anyone think of anything else it could be? I popped off the back of the phone and looked at the spring connections and they seemed to be making contact not sure what else to do at this point. The ebay seller says he won't refund because I tampered with the firmware - rofl I opened a case but I'd like to get this thing to work
10th August 2014, 03:00 AM   |  #2  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,980

25,212 posts
More
What country are you in?. Maybe the eBay is wrong model for your region?

There are only 2 models. D820 and D821 and LTE won't work if you have the incorrect model.for your region.

D820 is North America. D821 is Rest of world

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk < Yes, I want you to know that I'm using a mobile client
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th August 2014, 03:32 AM   |  #3  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 15,702

2,321 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

What country are you in?. Maybe the eBay is wrong model for your region?

There are only 2 models. D820 and D821 and LTE won't work if you have the incorrect model.for your region.

D820 is North America. D821 is Rest of world

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk < Yes, I want you to know that I'm using a mobile client

aha I forgot about that. Just checked the FCC ID in regulatory information under about phone and guess what - it's a d821 and the wifes is a d820 so the black one is the international model apparently and I need the US one. THANKS I was going crazy

*edit found it silkscreened on the back as well. Plenty of evidence to get my money back from this jerk thanks again
Last edited by randomblame; 10th August 2014 at 04:02 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to randomblame For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th August 2014, 10:01 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 30

182 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomblame

aha I forgot about that. Just checked the FCC ID in regulatory information under about phone and guess what - it's a d821 and the wifes is a d820 so the black one is the international model apparently and I need the US one. THANKS I was going crazy

*edit found it silkscreened on the back as well. Plenty of evidence to get my money back from this jerk thanks again

now you know to check your eggs before putting them in the basket
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread