Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,785 Members 47,443 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cannot root or unlock bootloader 4.4.4

Tip us?

Ahmed_iAM
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Cannot root or unlock bootloader 4.4.4

I've tried to unlock the bootloader and root this phone for the past 5 hours with no success. Is the 4.4.4 not supported by the current tools? I don't suppose any of the drivers have changed from the 4.4.3 to this. Running windows 8.1. Also have Ubuntu 14.10
The Following User Says Thank You to Ahmed_iAM For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

daledenton
Old
Thanks Meter 94

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed_iAM View Post
I've tried to unlock the bootloader and root this phone for the past 5 hours with no success. Is the 4.4.4 not supported by the current tools? I don't suppose any of the drivers have changed from the 4.4.3 to this. Running windows 8.1. Also have Ubuntu 14.10
Why don't you just do it manually? Its good learning experience and extremely easy/straightforward to do on Nexus devices. Plenty of guides.

EDIT: I assume you meant you were using scripts given you said tools. I guess I should clarify. You do mean those toolkits are what you are using? Or are you saying that fastboot isn't working?
Current Devices:
Nexus 5 32gb, HTC One m8 (GPE), Nexus 7 (2013)
Retired Devices
Galaxy S4, HTC One, Note 3, Galaxy S4 Active, Nexus 4 16gb, Nexus 4 8gb, Blackberry Z10, Nexus 7, Note II, Lumia 810, Galaxy S3,

Ti2
Old
Thanks Meter 273
Quote:
What about unlocking it manually (fastboot oem unlock) & flashing recovery + SuperSU?

Beter than the tools (assuming you mean toolkits) anywayz.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Ahmed_iAM
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
I'll try it manually. If that doesn't work I'll come back. I usually unlock the bootloader then root. That is the best way right or does it not matter?

daledenton
Old
Thanks Meter 94

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I'll try it manually. If that doesn't work I'll come back. I usually unlock the bootloader then root. That is the best way right or does it not matter?
Unlocking the bootloader wipes the device, so yes, do that first.
Current Devices:
Nexus 5 32gb, HTC One m8 (GPE), Nexus 7 (2013)
Retired Devices
Galaxy S4, HTC One, Note 3, Galaxy S4 Active, Nexus 4 16gb, Nexus 4 8gb, Blackberry Z10, Nexus 7, Note II, Lumia 810, Galaxy S3,

Ahmed_iAM
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Worked. But Android L erased the root like I thought I would and also removed the custom recovery. I do like the features. Buggy with sum apps but it's good for the most part.

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3194
Quote:
Worked. But Android L erased the root like I thought I would and also removed the custom recovery. I do like the features. Buggy with sum apps but it's good for the most part.
Glad you did it the manual way. Flashing the entire factory image will always remove root and put on the stock recovery. Extract the zip file in the factory image and see what's in there. You can flash all those individually.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Ahmed_iAM
Old
(Last edited by Ahmed_iAM; 27th June 2014 at 04:33 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
The issue came up again. I Dont know which driver it is. I did the recovery, rooting and flashing from a windows 7 VM and it worked perfectly. It just happens when I use 8.1 it does not work at all. I installed LG's drivers, googles, the SDK, the slimes SDK and a couple others. Seems to make no difference. Any ideas? I'd prefer not having to use a VM to do this root and flashing process.

Main issue is when I do the adb or fastboot devices command, the nexus 5 is not recognized but the system does see it as an android boot loader.

gfaughn
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I seem to be having the same issue, I can get the phone to reboot into fastboot through ADB, but "fastboot oem unlock" does not work, states "waiting for device", even tried CF auto root and it displays the same thing, "waiting for device". any suggestions?

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10723
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfaughn View Post
I seem to be having the same issue, I can get the phone to reboot into fastboot through ADB, but "fastboot oem unlock" does not work, states "waiting for device", even tried CF auto root and it displays the same thing, "waiting for device". any suggestions?
Reboot your computer. Boot your phone into bootloader using volume down and power. Then connect the USB and see if "fastboot devices" reports anything
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.