Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,386 Members 51,945 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

LTE Only Searching For Service Battery?

Tip us?

MrObvious
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 261
Default LTE Only Searching For Service Battery?

Hi everyone. Quick question. I searched but didn't find much, but I was wanting to use LTE only (*#*#4636#*#*, Phone, LTE Only), and it does work but on Sprint, it disables 1x and pretends like the phone has no coverage and then does the "Searching for Service" and the battery drains like crazy. Any ideas?

movielover76
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
Hi everyone. Quick question. I searched but didn't find much, but I was wanting to use LTE only (*#*#4636#*#*, Phone, LTE Only), and it does work but on Sprint, it disables 1x and pretends like the phone has no coverage and then does the "Searching for Service" and the battery drains like crazy. Any ideas?
That mode disables all voice and texting abilities, I don't think you can use that on a phone, especially not a phone on Sprint.
turn it back, if the phone doesn't think it has a good enough signal to use LTE, trust it and drop to 3G you'll be better off.
Nexus 5 (Personal)
Stock
HTC First (Work)
Stock, Rooted
Retired Phones: AT&T Galaxy S4, Nexus 4, AT&T Galaxy S II,GSM Galaxy Nexus,HTC Rezound, Thunderbolt, Captivate, Focus (WP7), Blackberry Torch, iPhone3GS

CRIME INC.
Old
Thanks Meter 1921
Use global setting for Sprint

Sent from my Nexus 5

MrObvious
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 261
I don't want 3g though because my phone has the power to get a signal but if it gets down to 1 bar roughly (driving between towers and I'm in a fairly big city so it's not a coverage/reception issue) and it drops to 3g, despite the fact that it'll get stronger if it waits 5 more seconds.

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21042
you can not get/make phonecalls on lte only, period. its for data only.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!

j'vai
Old
Thanks Meter 14
indeed. setting it through the dialer to lte only, makes that lte data channel the only channel, it kills the ehrpd / 1x cdma 200 ip hand-off needed for voice paging to & from the network..

but NOW i know WHY you were forcing lte only via the dialer (didn't know at 1st)

but where you are (if you're on srpint) this is what' was reported happening -

Sprint used to have "same-as-native" 3G service in the western half of Kansas via those carriers, and even used to show it as Native on their coverage maps. Then it changed to Off-Network roaming a couple years ago. They even stopped Native service along I-70 through most of Kansas and eastern Colorado. Sounds like some of those carriers aren't being too accommodating to Sprint nowadays.

via the HoFo App

i didn't know, the hometown of sprint, was having such a hard time covering, it's own home state..

MrObvious
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by j'vai View Post
indeed. setting it through the dialer to lte only, makes that lte data channel the only channel, it kills the ehrpd / 1x cdma 200 ip hand-off needed for voice paging to & from the network..

but NOW i know WHY you were forcing lte only via the dialer (didn't know at 1st)

but where you are (if you're on srpint) this is what' was reported happening -

Sprint used to have "same-as-native" 3G service in the western half of Kansas via those carriers, and even used to show it as Native on their coverage maps. Then it changed to Off-Network roaming a couple years ago. They even stopped Native service along I-70 through most of Kansas and eastern Colorado. Sounds like some of those carriers aren't being too accommodating to Sprint nowadays.

via the HoFo App

i didn't know, the hometown of sprint, was having such a hard time covering, it's own home state..
That's inaccurate for me as I'm in central KS. That only applies for west KS. I'm in a native market with LTE, NV, and band 25 and 26.

j'vai
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
I don't want 3g though because my phone has the power to get a signal but if it gets down to 1 bar roughly (driving between towers and I'm in a fairly big city so it's not a coverage/reception issue) and it drops to 3g, despite the fact that it'll get stronger if it waits 5 more seconds.
ok.. central ks..

what were your settings prior, to lte only?

MrObvious
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 261
Just LTE/CDMA. There are times I want to set LTE only so I don't drop 4g. Of course I have service with that setting.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

j'vai
Old
Thanks Meter 14
you know, that going via the keypad to set LTE only you'll kill the fall back bridge to 1xrtt voice & evdo 3g, right?

& every time you want to have voice service you'd have to do the toggle to undo LTE only , then when you want it back LTE only ..

you say "you don't want evdo 3g" but the devil in the details are, you'll not have voice service ither, that way..

is it worth that trouble?