Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Major Update for the Sony Smartwatch 2 Brings DND and More

With the wearables landscape now dominated by Android Wear and Pebble, its … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

LTE Only Searching For Service Battery?

OP MrObvious

25th April 2014, 06:20 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Wichita KS
Thanks Meter: 280

2,027 posts
More
Hi everyone. Quick question. I searched but didn't find much, but I was wanting to use LTE only (*#*#4636#*#*, Phone, LTE Only), and it does work but on Sprint, it disables 1x and pretends like the phone has no coverage and then does the "Searching for Service" and the battery drains like crazy. Any ideas?
25th April 2014, 08:52 PM   |  #2  
Flag Red Bank, NJ
Thanks Meter: 28

407 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious

Hi everyone. Quick question. I searched but didn't find much, but I was wanting to use LTE only (*#*#4636#*#*, Phone, LTE Only), and it does work but on Sprint, it disables 1x and pretends like the phone has no coverage and then does the "Searching for Service" and the battery drains like crazy. Any ideas?

That mode disables all voice and texting abilities, I don't think you can use that on a phone, especially not a phone on Sprint.
turn it back, if the phone doesn't think it has a good enough signal to use LTE, trust it and drop to 3G you'll be better off.
25th April 2014, 09:01 PM   |  #3  
Flag HENDERSONVILLE
Thanks Meter: 1,956

3,226 posts
More
Use global setting for Sprint

Sent from my Nexus 5
25th April 2014, 11:13 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Wichita KS

2,027 posts
More
I don't want 3g though because my phone has the power to get a signal but if it gets down to 1 bar roughly (driving between towers and I'm in a fairly big city so it's not a coverage/reception issue) and it drops to 3g, despite the fact that it'll get stronger if it waits 5 more seconds.
25th April 2014, 11:17 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 22,824

27,414 posts
you can not get/make phonecalls on lte only, period. its for data only.
25th April 2014, 11:51 PM   |  #6  
wash dc
Thanks Meter: 22

158 posts
More
indeed. setting it through the dialer to lte only, makes that lte data channel the only channel, it kills the ehrpd / 1x cdma 200 ip hand-off needed for voice paging to & from the network..

but NOW i know WHY you were forcing lte only via the dialer (didn't know at 1st)

but where you are (if you're on srpint) this is what' was reported happening -

Sprint used to have "same-as-native" 3G service in the western half of Kansas via those carriers, and even used to show it as Native on their coverage maps. Then it changed to Off-Network roaming a couple years ago. They even stopped Native service along I-70 through most of Kansas and eastern Colorado. Sounds like some of those carriers aren't being too accommodating to Sprint nowadays.

via the HoFo App

i didn't know, the hometown of sprint, was having such a hard time covering, it's own home state..
26th April 2014, 12:11 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Wichita KS

2,027 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by j'vai

indeed. setting it through the dialer to lte only, makes that lte data channel the only channel, it kills the ehrpd / 1x cdma 200 ip hand-off needed for voice paging to & from the network..

but NOW i know WHY you were forcing lte only via the dialer (didn't know at 1st)

but where you are (if you're on srpint) this is what' was reported happening -

Sprint used to have "same-as-native" 3G service in the western half of Kansas via those carriers, and even used to show it as Native on their coverage maps. Then it changed to Off-Network roaming a couple years ago. They even stopped Native service along I-70 through most of Kansas and eastern Colorado. Sounds like some of those carriers aren't being too accommodating to Sprint nowadays.

via the HoFo App

i didn't know, the hometown of sprint, was having such a hard time covering, it's own home state..

That's inaccurate for me as I'm in central KS. That only applies for west KS. I'm in a native market with LTE, NV, and band 25 and 26.
26th April 2014, 12:23 AM   |  #8  
wash dc

158 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious

I don't want 3g though because my phone has the power to get a signal but if it gets down to 1 bar roughly (driving between towers and I'm in a fairly big city so it's not a coverage/reception issue) and it drops to 3g, despite the fact that it'll get stronger if it waits 5 more seconds.

ok.. central ks..

what were your settings prior, to lte only?
26th April 2014, 01:52 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Wichita KS

2,027 posts
More
Just LTE/CDMA. There are times I want to set LTE only so I don't drop 4g. Of course I have service with that setting.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
29th April 2014, 09:35 PM   |  #10  
wash dc

158 posts
More
you know, that going via the keypad to set LTE only you'll kill the fall back bridge to 1xrtt voice & evdo 3g, right?

& every time you want to have voice service you'd have to do the toggle to undo LTE only , then when you want it back LTE only ..

you say "you don't want evdo 3g" but the devil in the details are, you'll not have voice service ither, that way..

is it worth that trouble?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread