Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,114 Members 38,526 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

LTE Speed often <1mbps - RMA and replacement is worse!

Tip us?

relaxable
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default LTE Speed often <1mbps - RMA and replacement is worse!

So I've had Nexus 5 since last November - ordered on the day they became available.
Ever since I've had it, my LTE speeds have been horrible, and data in general has not been very good. I live & use mostly in urban core of Honolulu, and thought in part problem may have been that I was using Straight Talk on AT&T.
I could go into AT&T store - which isn't far from where I live - and the phones in the store from Samsung, etc., (no N5s there) would be getting 17mbps down or so while my Nexus 5 on Straight Talk/AT&T would be lucky to get over 1 mbps! I travel to continental US both urban and rural areas and pretty much the same dismal speeds. Every now and then I might see 5 6 or once even 7mbps downstream. Usually upstream on speedtest (Ookla) would be higher than down - 5mbps or higher.

So, I switched to AT&T gophone expecting to see better - but no - speedtests basically the same dismal speeds.
Go into AT&T store - compare to other phones - dismal on N5 vs stellar on the store phones.
They even let me put a SIM card from a display phone in my N5 - dismal LTE.
So, I think it must be my phone, and I get an RMA replacement this week.

With much anticipation, I unbox the new N5, don't do anything other than establish an account, download speedtest and pop the SIM in - boy does my balloon burst - the speed is WORSE than the one I did before switching the SIM!: 1.42mbps down, 2.31mbps up on the new N5 vs 2.16 down 2.26up on the old N5. And changing servers just made it worse. (See screenshot)

I set the new N5 to 3G - get HSPA and speedtest result is 7.90 down/1.09 up.
WTF!

Top 3G / Bottom Wifi / Rest are LTE

I just don't get it. Is there something about me, the TWO N5s I have, or what? Or, is the N5 just bad on [some] LTE?
My status page shows pretty strong signal on the awful speedtest - -79dbm/61asu.

On positive note, I do think in actual browsing/use, the phone is faster with native AT&T/gophone vs straight talk as it doesn't have to use Tracfone's proxy server (in Florida i think). But there just is something wrong with these LTE speeds....

I also tried 4GMark speetest and benchmark and it's pretty dismal -> download 0.41Mbps / Upload 4.17Mbps.

Anyone have any ideas for me?

Aerowinder
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,216
How bout them radios.

Google Firmware: Google
USB Drivers: Google | Mirror
ADB+ADB Drivers: 19.0.2 (4.4.4) + Koush Universal ADB Drivers

TWRP Official: hammerhead | flo
TWRP Holofied: hammerhead | flo

Gapps: BaNkS

Superuser: Chainfire | Mirror

relaxable
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowinder View Post
How bout them radios.
Well, I can mention that the replacement came with KK 4.4.2 and radio ...25.0.23. The speedtests above run with that radio. Then, updated OTA to 4.4.3 and radio got updated to ...50.1.13, which didn't make any difference in LTE speed. Then a 2nd update took the new phone to ...50.1.16 and 4.4.4 and still pathetic speed.

My original N5 from Nov'13 has had every radio known to this model and sucky LTE with every single one.

MrObvious
Old
Thanks Meter 262
Which APN? I find it weird because I have Cricket which uses AT&T towers now and I get sometimes 8Mb down if I'm in a good signal area, so I know it is possible.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21,154
grab a tmobile micro sim from someone, and see if tmobile is the same or not. it could just be a local att issue.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!

RogerPodacter
Old
Thanks Meter 396
Your account must not be provisioned correctly for LTE. And the APN you have selected may be incorrect. Check both of these.
Past projects
Github
My N1 Battery Project

Phone: Nexus 5
ROM: stock rooted
Recovery: CWM Touch

relaxable
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
Your account must not be provisioned correctly for LTE. And the APN you have selected may be incorrect. Check both of these.

Not the case. LTE shows up in the status bar. LTE shows in Settings/About Phone/Status -> Mobile Network Type

The APN is correct - "phone"

relaxable
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22 View Post
grab a tmobile micro sim from someone, and see if tmobile is the same or not. it could just be a local att issue.
I will try and do that when I get a chance.

If it were a local AT&T issue as opposed to a NEXUS5 phone issue, one would think the same SIM in another [Samsung] phone at AT&T store doing a speed test within a minute of each other would not be getting 10 times the throughput.

RogerPodacter
Old
Thanks Meter 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxable View Post
Not the case. LTE shows up in the status bar. LTE shows in Settings/About Phone/Status -> Mobile Network Type

The APN is correct - "phone"
As an example on HSPA my previous phone wouldn't speed test correctly. 0.1 Mbps was always the speed. Yet the status bar shows H and about>phone shows HSPA. And my APN was correct at Phone.

But ATT didn't have my account provisioned correctly on their end, in their system.

So it could easily be that your account isn't provisioned correctly by the carrier.
Past projects
Github
My N1 Battery Project

Phone: Nexus 5
ROM: stock rooted
Recovery: CWM Touch