FORUMS

What Do You Think About Fingerprint Scanners?

More and more phones are featuring fingerprint scanners, and with many promising … more

What’s Next for Samsung and Its Flagships?

If we were to say that the Galaxy S6 was a leap of faith made by Samsung, we … more

The Ultimate Showcase of dBrand Skins

In the search for ways to protect, accessorize, and personalize; a user has many options. One … more

Huawei’s Rapid Rise to Third Place in the Smartphone Race

Huawei has quickly grown to become one of the world’s biggest … more

[Q] Can't make or receive calls

18 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By backside floaters, Junior Member on 28th May 2014, 01:46 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
5th July 2014, 06:08 PM |#11  
Flag Gainesville, FL
Thanks Meter: 14

Donate to Me
More
I'd try the wiping the cache and reflashing the radio.
I had a similar issue first week of owning the phone any time I sent a text I lost service until I rebooted.

From what I've read some N5's don't like the 4.4.4 radios. Mine likes 4.4.4 but couldn't pick up a signal if it had a 50ft antenna with 4.4.3 radio.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

17th May 2015, 12:36 PM |#12  

More
Thumbs up Nexus 5 Not making or receiving calls
Quote:
Originally Posted by backside floaters

Started a couple days ago, using straight talk AT&T sim on my nexus 5, Data and text messages work fine, but whenever I try and make a phone call the signal drops completely and calls won't connect. People been telling me when they try to call it goes straight to voicemail. I'm running stock rom. Any suggestions? Straight talk and Google both with no help.

I just had this almost exact same scenario. I started having problems with signal dropping using CM12 nightlies (late April 2015) then eventually I switched over to a NET10 because T mobile was not cutting it to begin with. After the problem persisted on an ATT Sim card with NET10, I started flashing different ROMs. Signal seemed to be more stable and everything was fine for a while. After a few days I was no longer able to make or receive calls.

Eventually I did a complete factory image (still didn't work)
Flashed a 4.4 radio image (didn't work immediately, but the next morning it seems to be working as of now)

I probably could have skipped the hours of trouble shooting if I would have (found this thread first) and just tried flashing different radio images. Or maybe it was the series of other steps combined...not really sure.

Good luck and hopefully this helps the next person going through this mess. Oh and don't event waste your time calling NET10/Straighttalk customer service.

*EDIT* Above did not solve my problem, I actually had to fix the physical radio connections which came loose.
Last edited by kgtgv4; 2nd June 2015 at 01:47 AM.
2nd June 2015, 02:55 PM |#13  

More
same problem
Hey guys having the exact same issue. Dropped my phone hard and then all of a sudden I cannot make or receive ant calls with my carrier dialer. I can send and receive texts, use LTE data , Wi-Fi. When I place a call, it is silent for about 10 seconds then drops the call. When people call it is silent for 15 seconds, then voicemail.
Called google, said it is out of warranty and LG would have to repair it for $150 just to see the phone.
Have done a cache wipe and factory reset. Is this most likely a hardware issue that I need to open the back for ? Little bit of a tech noob but can work my way around things. Any help is super appreciated as I love my N5 32G and don't have the money.
2nd June 2015, 05:08 PM |#14  

More
Same issue that I had, just remove the back and reattach/secure the radio wiring. It's on the left side and rubs parallel to the battery. It was a petty quick and easy fix.

3rd June 2015, 04:21 PM |#15  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtgv4

Same issue that I had, just remove the back and reattach/secure the radio wiring. It's on the left side and rubs parallel to the battery. It was a petty quick and easy fix.

So I took the back off and looked at the cables and they were both connected. I took them off anyways and reconnected them. Didn't see anything surprising to my eyes at least. The only thing I did find out was that LTE is the only setting that I can't use data and texts on. 3G and 2G say no cellular network detected. Do I maybe need to replace the antenna cables ??
4th June 2015, 03:30 PM |#16  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_attack10

So I took the back off and looked at the cables and they were both connected. I took them off anyways and reconnected them. Didn't see anything surprising to my eyes at least. The only thing I did find out was that LTE is the only setting that I can't use data and texts on. 3G and 2G say no cellular network detected. Do I maybe need to replace the antenna cables ??

Hmmm. I don't think the cables would be bad. I would just make absolute sure that they are staying attached after you re-assemble your phone. I even put a small piece of tape over the end that I noticed was loose. If that doesn't work then I think we had different issues with the same symptoms.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread