XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Maps - no detail, no turn by turn

Tip us?

ldubs
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Default [Q] Maps - no detail, no turn by turn

I use Google Maps for navigation to and from work, and lately I've been getting a periodic situation where the turn-by-turn directions stop, and all I get is "Turn Right" or "Stay Straight" instead of normal "In 800 feet, turn right on Main Street"...

I've been able to temp fix it by going into Settings, Location, Maps, and toggling Location Services and Location History off and on (with a reboot for good measure), but it's super-annoying and I can't pinpoint when it will work properly and when it won't. Sometimes it works just fine in the morning but quits working properly in the evening of the same day. No changes made in the interim that might cause it.

Anyone see this and know a fix? I'm on Mahdi ROM latest version with latest version of Maps. Maps version doesn't seem to matter, it happened on an older version and then the most recent version again this evening.

Insert witty, pithy, androidy statement here

aooga
Old
Thanks Meter 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldubs View Post
I use Google Maps for navigation to and from work, and lately I've been getting a periodic situation where the turn-by-turn directions stop, and all I get is "Turn Right" or "Stay Straight" instead of normal "In 800 feet, turn right on Main Street"...

I've been able to temp fix it by going into Settings, Location, Maps, and toggling Location Services and Location History off and on (with a reboot for good measure), but it's super-annoying and I can't pinpoint when it will work properly and when it won't. Sometimes it works just fine in the morning but quits working properly in the evening of the same day. No changes made in the interim that might cause it.

Anyone see this and know a fix? I'm on Mahdi ROM latest version with latest version of Maps. Maps version doesn't seem to matter, it happened on an older version and then the most recent version again this evening.
Same issue on stock. I searched it up and it seems that you have to reinstall the GoogleTTS.apk. I tried that and have the same issue.

Ben36
Old
Thanks Meter 1379
Try a different tts app

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ldubs
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Suggestions? I don't think its a text to speech issue, it seems maps goes into short mode or dummy mode...

sent from my hammerhead

ldubs
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
bump

ENDelt260
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have the same issue. On stock Android (4.4.2), intermittent lack of spoken street names. I usually resolve by going in to the text to speech settings and playing the sample. Once I do that, everything seems fine.

Which I had a better idea what was causing TTS to occasionally go sideways so I could fix the root instead of this silly smack-upside-the-head intervention.

ldubs
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
This is still happening for me. I'll check the tts settings next time.

sent from my hammerhead

Tags
gps, maps, turn-by-turn missing