Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,791 Members 54,386 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Miracast vs Chromecast

Tip us?

DryEagle
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default Miracast vs Chromecast

I just want a HDMI dongle for my tv, that I can cast my phone screen to. Mostly so that, I can use a controller and play my phone games on my tv, the phone acting like a mini-console.

-> What will perform better, chromecast or miracast/ezcast? chromecast dongle costs about twice as much, so I just want to make sure it's worth it

-> how good is the performance with either? will i be getting full framerate etc? I have tried several hdmi cable adapters and none of them seem to work for me (yes, even after plugging in power, best i could manage is choppy/flickery performance) so i'm trying to get this as a workaround

any other info i should know? phone is rooted so no worries there

BerndHhn
Old
Thanks Meter 43
my chromecast runs fine, it have a bit delay, but it's ok.
Miracast works well too.
I don't see any differences.

DryEagle
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
have you tried it while gaming? i mean some nice 3d games that are using a lot of the phone's power. for example soulcraft ii (it's free). does it affect the quality of the screen sharing?

DryEagle
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryEagle View Post
have you tried it while gaming? i mean some nice 3d games that are using a lot of the phone's power. for example soulcraft ii (it's free). does it affect the quality of the screen sharing?
anyone else have any info?

El Daddy
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 3,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryEagle View Post
anyone else have any info?
There is a noticeable lag with the Chromecast. It is very smooth, but its about a half a second behind. I don't think it would be good for gaming unless you are playing some sort of turn based game.

I also have a LG TV with miracast support, but it is unusable. It shows one frame every 10 seconds or so.

Smallsmx3
Old
Thanks Meter 305
I have miracast. It lags too...I don't think it was meant for gaming. Unless it was a turn based one. There is also a slight loss of video quality