Google Allows Search Queries To Interact With Apps

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings lots of new features that are quite useful for end users and … more

Lenovo Officially Owns Motorola, Following ~$3 Billion Deal

Google is now officially no longer the owner of American phone manufacturer … more

Microsoft Band Fitness Tracker Announced, Available

The wearable market has been around for a few years, with Pebble and Samsung smartwatches … more

Forums Added for the Oppo R5, Oppo N3, and Xiaomi Redmi Note

Just yesterday, Oppo unveiled a pair of rather unique smartphones, the Oppo … more

Miracast vs Chromecast

OP DryEagle

11th July 2014, 07:26 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9

106 posts
I just want a HDMI dongle for my tv, that I can cast my phone screen to. Mostly so that, I can use a controller and play my phone games on my tv, the phone acting like a mini-console.

-> What will perform better, chromecast or miracast/ezcast? chromecast dongle costs about twice as much, so I just want to make sure it's worth it

-> how good is the performance with either? will i be getting full framerate etc? I have tried several hdmi cable adapters and none of them seem to work for me (yes, even after plugging in power, best i could manage is choppy/flickery performance) so i'm trying to get this as a workaround

any other info i should know? phone is rooted so no worries there
11th July 2014, 10:39 PM   |  #2  
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 49

148 posts
More
my chromecast runs fine, it have a bit delay, but it's ok.
Miracast works well too.
I don't see any differences.
12th July 2014, 12:49 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

106 posts
have you tried it while gaming? i mean some nice 3d games that are using a lot of the phone's power. for example soulcraft ii (it's free). does it affect the quality of the screen sharing?
13th July 2014, 07:29 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

106 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryEagle

have you tried it while gaming? i mean some nice 3d games that are using a lot of the phone's power. for example soulcraft ii (it's free). does it affect the quality of the screen sharing?

anyone else have any info?
13th July 2014, 08:59 PM   |  #5  
Forum Moderator
Flag Roseville, MN
Thanks Meter: 4,152

3,687 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryEagle

anyone else have any info?

There is a noticeable lag with the Chromecast. It is very smooth, but its about a half a second behind. I don't think it would be good for gaming unless you are playing some sort of turn based game.

I also have a LG TV with miracast support, but it is unusable. It shows one frame every 10 seconds or so.
14th July 2014, 03:43 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 329

2,278 posts
I have miracast. It lags too...I don't think it was meant for gaming. Unless it was a turn based one. There is also a slight loss of video quality
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread