FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Can ''only'' the digitizer be replaced of a broken screen?

136 posts
Thanks Meter: 17

By rollerdyke44, Senior Member on 12th May 2014, 11:20 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
hi

i want to know if only the exterior glass of nexus 5 can be replaced. My phone has a cracked screen but the touch response, colors etc everything works fine so only the outer glass (gorilla glass?) is damaged. I want to know if only that can be replaced as LG ask around 150$ to replace the whole component.

can i order this? is this possible?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C-Front-Oute...-/171311153201

Thanks

21st May 2014, 09:08 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
Bump??
21st May 2014, 09:14 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1,093

More
im pretty sure they are fused together and if you replace 1, you replace both.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zepius For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Zepius Ad-Free
21st May 2014, 09:35 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Unfortunately you will have to replace the whole thing. When my screen broke It was functional completely aside from the proximity sensor (due to shattered glass). I tried taking it apart afterwards to no avail.
The Following User Says Thank You to tkuczyn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tkuczyn Ad-Free
21st May 2014, 09:42 PM |#5  
Flag Bordeaux
Thanks Meter: 49

Donate to Me
More
Well, you'll maybe be able to replace only the touch screen (without the LCD) but it wwill not be easy has you'll probably need to heat it to be able to remove the glue, etc.

Probably better to buy a lcd + touch screen :/
The Following User Says Thank You to Charlus97 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Charlus97 Ad-Free
22nd May 2014, 01:50 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
ohh

so the ebay item i linked is completely useless?

Thanks for your help guys
22nd May 2014, 02:41 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 48

More
It's not impossible to try and replace only the glass. A friend of mine has done this with his galaxy note, which also has a glued screen+digitizer+glass assembly. However, the replacement glass is pretty bad and reflective and dust has started gathering beneath it. The touchscreen was also affected: some areas don't respond so well anymore.
Last edited by Geo2160; 22nd May 2014 at 02:44 PM.
22nd May 2014, 06:12 PM |#8  
Flag Glenview, IL
Thanks Meter: 134

More
I've replaced just the glass on a different phone. It's the biggest pain ever. You'd have to separate the glass via a heat gun, while trying not to break the digitizer. Then remove the glue. Then adhere the new glass to the digitizer with loca adhesive. Loca is hard to deal with, bubbles, and can get into other components ruining them. It must be cured with a uv light. And even if you can pull it off, no way will it be 100%. Strange glares and whatnot. Some try to do it with double sided tape, but that leaves a gap between the glass and digitizer, which causes strange touch responses or it'll be totally unresponsive. And be prone to break the glass easily without loca. Trust me pay the $150 and let lg replace the whole assembly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lokke9191 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Lokke9191 Ad-Free
8th July 2014, 04:41 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokke9191

I've replaced just the glass on a different phone. It's the biggest pain ever. You'd have to separate the glass via a heat gun, while trying not to break the digitizer. Then remove the glue. Then adhere the new glass to the digitizer with loca adhesive. Loca is hard to deal with, bubbles, and can get into other components ruining them. It must be cured with a uv light. And even if you can pull it off, no way will it be 100%. Strange glares and whatnot. Some try to do it with double sided tape, but that leaves a gap between the glass and digitizer, which causes strange touch responses or it'll be totally unresponsive. And be prone to break the glass easily without loca. Trust me pay the $150 and let lg replace the whole assembly.

It's too bad it's like this. Probably the most likely thing to break on a phone and they make it so difficult to fix and compared to the price of the phone, expensive to fix. Certain things should just be easily fixable. Oh well, such is life.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)