Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,995 Members 47,767 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What is a modem and can it solve my reception issues?

Tip us?

Caniv
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Drive [Q] What is a modem and can it solve my reception issues?

hey guys
i tried understanding by myself what exactly the modem does in a cellphone but since the term/word modem is so common it was hard to get results for the exact thing i want to understand.

my reception issue is this:
im from israel in a network called "Golan-T", using my previous phone, a nexus 4, i had great internet access and cell reception, 90% of the time i had 4/4 bars and the internet was H+ with speeds of 5-10Mbps (normal speeds here in israel)

now on my nexus 5, im there is a constant issue with the above
the bars go from 2-3 RAPIDSLY, meaning they could switch between 1-3 bars every 2-5 seconds, which i suspect not only means a terribly low signal, but also destroys my battery life
2nd, for some reason i NEVER get H+, but i assume the icon for + just might no be there in the nexus 5, but i get the same every few seconds change cycle with 3g (which gives me speeds of under 1MBps and i cant do ANYTHING not even google now searches) and H, which also changes every few seconds.

yesterday i drove for over an hour with Waze and didnt have internet for even 1 second.

so - after the above long story
i was wondering what could be a solution and someone tossed my way that the modem could be the issue and that it can be flashed, so i was hoping i could get some guidance here

ty!

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,355
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=47164660

Alex240188
Old
Thanks Meter 635
The modem handles all cellular connections much like old internet dial up modems. Its what connects y you to your phones provider.
When it's referred to on xda it's most commonly talking about the radio firmware. Something which can improve or worsen signal depending on what has been changed in the revisions to it.
However your problem sounds more like an antennae issue than a modem problem.
Usually the radio only gets updated with an ota or factory image flash.
If you want to test you can flash the various factory images from Google which also contain the radio's or you may be able to find a collection of radios here on the forums to flash.

The factory images are flashed by using the flashall.bat included in the download. (Bare in mind this will also erase all data on your phone)
The radio images in the forums will usually be flashed in the bootloader with fastboot using the command
Fastboot flash radio xyz.img
Where xyz is the name of your downloaded image

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app