Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,673 Members 41,007 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Could not mount /data ! Phone Stuck!

Tip us?

Ensifolk
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 198
Default [Q] Could not mount /data ! Phone Stuck!

I flashed a CM based ROM, and decided to get back to Slimkat. Opened my recovery ( Philz CWM ) wiped everything, and now tried to restore my nandroid ! And suddenly Im on Can't mount /sdcard ! I can't even flash a new ROM or do anything, I get stuck on Google's boot logo if I want to get to the ROM.

Let's note that I had no USB debug checked as I was only checking out the newly flashed ROM. So am I literally in a dead situation? Anyone please may help ?
Always switching between ROMS, It turned to a kind of sport after all.

Mynix
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensifolk View Post
I flashed a CM based ROM, and decided to get back to Slimkat. Opened my recovery ( Philz CWM ) wiped everything, and now tried to restore my nandroid ! And suddenly Im on Can't mount /sdcard ! I can't even flash a new ROM or do anything, I get stuck on Google's boot logo if I want to get to the ROM.

Let's note that I had no USB debug checked as I was only checking out the newly flashed ROM. So am I literally in a dead situation? Anyone please may help ?
Clean fastboot install :/ Solved the issue for me

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 9771
try and format cache. If still no luck, fastboot flash cache cache.img
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

Ensifolk
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
try and format cache. If still no luck, fastboot flash cache cache.img
Can I still fastboot even if I have no USB debugging enabled? The phone will interact with the commands normally? ( Since as I mentioned before I flashed the ROM only to check out and played with no settings at all, didnt know this is going to happen )

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 9771
Quote:
Can I still fastboot even if I have no USB debugging enabled?
fastboot commands are done in the bootloader. USB debugging is an Android setting. The 2 are not related even in the slightest.
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Ensifolk
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 198
Quote:
fastboot commands are done in the bootloader. USB debugging is an Android setting. The 2 are not related even in the slightest.
Thank you sir ! Im sorry to go further saying that I have never used fastboot even thought this is my third nexus device, the regular way of me having a Nexus is using a toolkit on day one to Unlock/Root and then the rest is always done to me on a Recovery !

I am currently downloading the Factory Image to flash it via fastboot ( There are instructions on how to do that ) But will delete everything on my phone.

Is there a way I can save myself right now without any loss? Via fastboot commands? And how can I do it? ( Im really sorry for taking your time and mixing my inexperience )

You'd be a life saver hehe

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 9771
Quote:
Thank you sir ! Im sorry to go further saying that I have never used fastboot even thought this is my third nexus device, the regular way of me having a Nexus is using a toolkit on day one to Unlock/Root and then the rest is always done to me on a Recovery !

I am currently downloading the Factory Image to flash it via fastboot ( There are instructions on how to do that ) But will delete everything on my phone.

Is there a way I can save myself right now without any loss? Via fastboot commands? And how can I do it? ( Im really sorry for taking your time and mixing my inexperience )

You'd be a life saver hehe
Dont flash the entire factory image.

just use the

fastboot flash cache cache.img

Then you won't wipe the device.

This is why not to use toolkits. fastboot is essential basic knowledge and using toolkits means you dont get to learn it

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ensifolk
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 198
Quote:
Dont flash the entire factory image.

just use the

fastboot flash cache cache.img

Then you won't wipe the device.

This is why not to use toolkits. fastboot is essential basic knowledge and using toolkits means you dont get to learn it
You are totally right about that I should learn about it ! Hahaha. Okay, I opened a command promt and I am in the bootloader, where should I get the cache.img from? And should I place it in a certain folder? cause apparently I tried doing this command and it didn't work, I guess i have to get the cache.img from somewhere :P ( Im really sorry mate...Thanks again )

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 9771
Quote:
You are totally right about that I should learn about it ! Hahaha. Okay, I opened a command promt and I am in the bootloader, where should I get the cache.img from? And should I place it in a certain folder? cause apparently I tried doing this command and it didn't work, I guess i have to get the cache.img from somewhere :P ( Im really sorry mate...Thanks again )
Have a read of the "how to flash a factory image" thread in general. Just remember, dont follow it blindly as you'll flash the whole factory image.

Ensifolk
Old
(Last edited by Ensifolk; 3rd March 2014 at 10:50 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 198
Quote:
Have a read of the "how to flash a factory image" thread in general. Just remember, dont follow it blindly as you'll flash the whole factory image.
Promise this is the last question I hope. I am actually on that page. I have downloaded the factory image BUT when I extract it via Winrar I only get a one file as an output (hammerhead-kot49h-factory-02006b99)

EDIT: I renamed the extracted file to .zip and extracted again, now I have the files displayed on that page...Trying to figure out now how to flash the cache.img