Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,303 Members 45,080 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Multirom and Android L question

Tip us?

ariawesome
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Multirom and Android L question

Hi,
Currently I am running PA 4.4 Final but would like to use multirom in order to also gain access to Android L preview. I have read that I should do a factory reset before installing the Android L preview as a secondary ROM, but I would like to be able to keep all my data in my primary PA ROM. Is it possible to do a factory reset before installing L without losing everything in PA?

LDH2K10
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I am currently running Android L right now using multirom and haven't had to do any factory reset.

Here's what I did: I downloaded the flashable zip for Android L. Booted into my recovery, went to multirom, added the .zip for Android L and installed it, set it up and I still have my other main ROM (Graviton) to boot into.

*EDIT* or you could go old school and do a full back up of PA and then install Android L, see what you think and then restore PA after you've checked out Android L. Best to do the multirom method though as there's no fussing about .

So no factory data reset with this method.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to LDH2K10 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ariawesome
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH2K10 View Post
I am currently running Android L right now using multirom and haven't had to do any factory reset.

Here's what I did: I downloaded the flashable zip for Android L. Booted into my recovery, went to multirom, added the .zip for Android L and installed it, set it up and I still have my other main ROM (Graviton) to boot into.

*EDIT* or you could go old school and do a full back up of PA and then install Android L, see what you think and then restore PA after you've checked out Android L. Best to do the multirom method though as there's no fussing about .

So no factory data reset with this method.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Ok. I had just read that it was supposedly more stable after doing a factory reset. I did a full nandroid backup of everything even boot and efs so I guess there is no harm in trying it out without a factory rest. Thanks.

LDH2K10
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariawesome View Post
Ok. I had just read that it was supposedly more stable after doing a factory reset. I did a full nandroid backup of everything even boot and efs so I guess there is no harm in trying it out without a factory rest. Thanks.
Yeah it would be more stable, as you will have to flash the new radio and kernel that's been modified for root access. However I only flashed through multirom to see what the new version was like. Not to use as a proper daily ROM like I do this one.

Take a look at Wugfesh Nexus Root Toolkit: http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

You may find this more helpful for backups and any other useful features. Its a great program to use, no doubt about it .

Current Device: LG Google
Nexus 5
ROM: Graviton V3.2 <3
Build: 4.4.4
Tweaks: Bionic & Dalvik Optimised Volume Boost Mod
Undervolted -50mV
300mHZ At 700mV
Under clocked At 1497mHZ
Kernel: Franco Kernel R54
Build.prop Tweaks Applied

shhbz
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariawesome View Post
Hi,
Currently I am running PA 4.4 Final but would like to use multirom in order to also gain access to Android L preview. I have read that I should do a factory reset before installing the Android L preview as a secondary ROM, but I would like to be able to keep all my data in my primary PA ROM. Is it possible to do a factory reset before installing L without losing everything in PA?
if you want to install it as secondary rom through multirom just flash as an additional rom no need of wipe it will work fine
The Following User Says Thank You to shhbz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ariawesome
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks guys. I got it running perfectly. I don't think I will use it as a daily driver but it is very nice to have it to mess around with every once in a while. PA is just too stable and smooth to switch to the Android L preview.
The Following User Says Thank You to ariawesome For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LDH2K10
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Just thought.. I'm slow XD. But you can set radio.img using multirom settings from recovery. That way you'll be able to use it mostly functional. Of course its not gonna be fully stable on developer release, but yeah its something to mess about with .

Current Device: LG Google
Nexus 5
ROM: Graviton V3.2 <3
Build: 4.4.4
Tweaks: Bionic & Dalvik Optimised Volume Boost Mod
Undervolted -50mV
300mHZ At 700mV
Under clocked At 1497mHZ
Kernel: Franco Kernel R54
Build.prop Tweaks Applied

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10,746
Please stop posting "L" threads. Use the stickies only.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Saqib Nazm
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 7,720

DONATE TO ME
There is already a thread regarding Android L discussion/questions HERE Please continue there and Search a bit before opening a thread, Closed..
Currently on a Leave, Please reach to my Fellow Moderators If you need

XDA Forum Rules | Get Moderators Help | Admins & Moderators

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe